4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Interior lighting??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default Interior lighting??

im wondering where can you get different interior lights for like all the buttons and gauges and such. i have a friend with a corvette that his dad did it but they have to be making different color bulbs. im wanting to make all light switches red or blue. it may seem ricey but it has a much cleaner look than stock. im talking about the bulbs for the window switches, radio buttons, TCS, fogs, etc.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 AM
scfd524
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Interior lighting??

Have you pulled them off to see what's behind them? I haven't pulled mine off but usually they're a clear bulb with a color on the button itself, kinda like your gauges. You may be able to, depending on how it's on there,take that coloring off if its like a film and put different colors on. I can't think of what the paper is called but sometimes DJ's use it on like stage lights to make them a different color. You'll just have to check it out and see what you can find. Post whatever you find cause I'd be interested in what you find out. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

here is what ive found so far.... http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f19/424...-no-soldering/

looks like you use L.E.D.'s for the lights.... very intresting. i think i will be doing this to my car to give the interior a different look. its cheap and is one of those details that makes the interior look much better at night.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
marcm94
1st Gear Member

do you door switches actually have light behind them?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

nope... i checked and ford is gay so they dont... im too use to my dodge ram. lol. but the radio does and so does the climate control.

also im trying to find lights for my autometer gauges. i have phantom series so they arent very bright. anyone know where i may get hold of the bulbs that go in them but maybe led so they are brighter??
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcm94

do you door switches actually have light behind them?
Yeah, I was wondering what years were backlit. My 00GT has no backlitighting except for the fog light switch. Hell, even the cruise control switches on the steering wheel are dark[&:]
Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

mine too... i think tis the 05's and such... i think i remember my sisters 06 with it
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
MadLoo

ok, so, tuner guys have been doing this for years, its called an LED swap, or Light swap (depending on the year, and car you will either have LED's or colored Blubs) for the guy whos actually asking the question, to know which you have you physically have to check, or find someone who did it, i looked at the site you found, all scions have led's, dosnt meen mustangs do so check, however if it is done by led, thats good, cause you have alot more options. Ok, as to how to do it. first take a look at the component with the light turned on to see which led is actually the one lighting the object you want changed. Then once you find it, desolder it and solder a new one of the desired color in it place, LED's are directional so be carefull. Sounds simple enough right? Wrong, the leds used are PLCC-2 sized or smaller, that meens their surface mount LED's the size of half a pencil eraser, so if you dont have experience with a solder iron, dont even try it because you can completely ruin the component. Also, even if you get the led's on there, sometimes it can be dim because of the voltage change, then you need to calculate, analyze, and replace the nececary components. I have done this before, but never without a guide to which led's need replacing, and what additional components need replacing. The good news is the parts for this are fairly cheap, but make sure you do it right or your going to be paying alot more to replace the component.