4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cobra engine swap

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

its a hell of alot cheaper to do a 4v swap then do a motor build.......my swap cost me about 3 grand from scratch to driving on the road
did you do the work your self??
Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
03GT_hybrid
1st Gear Member

I did the 4v swap and I saw amazing gains from it. If you buy everything used then it isn't that much money. However the PI swap is easier and you dont need to get as much stuff. You will need new valve covers, timing chain cover, heads, head bolts, new gaskets, new headers (good time to put in LTs), intake, injectors, and some other stuff. If you do the PI you can eliminate half of that. I am still using my GT ECU but it runs like ****, the next thing is a tune but you can run off of the GT ECU for normal drivability. If you do decide to do the PI swap I have everything you need so le me know and if you have any question PM me and I can help. Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GT_hybrid

I did the 4v swap and I saw amazing gains from it. If you buy everything used then it isn't that much money. However the PI swap is easier and you dont need to get as much stuff. You will need new valve covers, timing chain cover, heads, head bolts, new gaskets, new headers (good time to put in LTs), intake, injectors, and some other stuff. If you do the PI you can eliminate half of that. I am still using my GT ECU but it runs like ****, the next thing is a tune but you can run off of the GT ECU for normal drivability. If you do decide to do the PI swap I have everything you need so le me know and if you have any question PM me and I can help. Thanks
A PI swap is not easier than a 4v swap. Your basically pullin one motor out and dropping in another almost identical engine! To do a PI swap you have to do more work than to just pull a motor out and drop another in! I did my 4v swap with installing LT's in 2 days! A PI swap you need to have all the proper parts and the know how to Degree cams. If you don't know it could lead to BAD things!!! 4v FTW
Old 10-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

The Pi swap isnt fun but neither is the 4v swap. The cobra swap being easier.I am trying to get the imrcs in my cobra engine to work and its pretty complicated. Just FYI The cobra engine has a forged crankshaft but still has POS pistons and rods.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
03GT_hybrid
1st Gear Member

It was only harder for me because I have the stock bottom end and I put the heads on the block, I didn't get a whole new engine. Both are the same if you take one engine and drop them in but that you can do in a weekend.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:50 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jst98gtmustang

Ok i was thinking of doing a cobra32v engine swap in my car,or just doing a pi swap to my motor,have not made up my mind yet.
but what i like to know is,what all do i have to do to change out the motor,could i use my trans?can i use my ecu?do i have to change out
the motor mounts or will the one for my NPI engine work?any info will help.Thanks
Sorry to hijack, but you have one of the best looking 96-98 mustangs i have ever seen, very nice car.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

Ok i was thinking of doing a cobra32v engine swap in my car,or just doing a pi swap to my motor,have not made up my mind yet.
but what i like to know is,what all do i have to do to change out the motor,could i use my trans?can i use my ecu?do i have to change out
the motor mounts or will the one for my NPI engine work?any info will help.Thanks
Sorry to hijack, but you have one of the best looking 96-98 mustangs i have ever seen, very nice car.
Thanks man.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

Thanks man.
No problem
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM
spd_dvl

Is there a write up for this swap I'm curious to do it on my 96 GT, but i'm looking to do more home work and i dont think my search is working so i was unable to do the obvious.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

i did somewhat of a write up but when i told the mod about it, in his ulitimate wisdom he never put it up[&:]

Quick Reply: cobra engine swap