4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
00o00colin00o00

Default handling?

okay so I’m super new to this forum.... I registered 15 mins ago... anyhow I’m hoping to buy a mustang in the near future, and I have a couple of questions and goals for this car, and well this looks like the best place to ask them.

So first off I’minterested in the 1999 to 2005 sn-95 model... but i don't know weather or not to get the GT or the V6?

My goal is to have the best handling one, so naturally my first question is weather or not the stock GT has different suspension then the regular stock V6?

Also which is easier to upgrade in the future (suspension)?

I care much more about the handling then I do the strait line speed for the time being... so that is mainly what I want to focus on
BUT is the GT much faster, what I’m trying to ask I guess is the GT worth it?

Also which will be more reliable in the long run?

For a 1999 mustang what kind of mileage should I be looking for? What is too much?

How long do both of these engines last (mileage wise)?

a little background on me... basically I’m in College so I don't have loads and loads of money, and I don't yet have a job... so there is no income yet either. I am an avid BMW fan, but that’s a distant dream, and I have been in love with the sn95 mustang for a long time, because it has so much potential and looks oh so good! I’m really and handling freak... if you cant tell... I love being able to go around a corner at twice what most people can hehehe. But ya any help is appreciated!!

Thank you so much!!!
Colin
Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: handling?

no offence man but if all you want a car for is handling look elsewhere mustangs are not for you. they arent the greatest handling machines out there. i dont really care for whipping around a corner doing 85mph though. if you want a mustang and your even debating v6 or gt get a gt. yes its that much faster, more hp and a lot more torque. if you try to go around a corner fast with this car your gonna throw the *** end into a curb.

if you want a mustang tho and you really care that much about handling i would suggest a 99+ cobra or a gt thats been modded with an IRS. still wont be a handling machine but better than a normal mustang. if you like this whole "cornering" thing what made mustang pop into your head may i ask?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

no offence man but if all you want a car for is handling look elsewhere mustangs are not for you. they arent the greatest handling machines out there. i dont really care for whipping around a corner doing 85mph though. if you want a mustang and your even debating v6 or gt get a gt. yes its that much faster, more hp and a lot more torque. if you try to go around a corner fast with this car your gonna throw the *** end into a curb.

if you want a mustang tho and you really care that much about handling i would suggest a 99+ cobra or a gt thats been modded with an IRS. still wont be a handling machine but better than a normal mustang. if you like this whole "cornering" thing what made mustang pop into your head may i ask?
I agree but I also disagree!

Colin,

If what you're looking for is for your Mustang to handle like a BMW it ain't going to happen but then again a used BMWcosts 3 times as much as a used Mustang so, sinceyou're on a budget, a Mustang would be a good candidate for what you want to do. Why, many of you may ask? Because out of the box a GT witha 4.6L 2V is a torquey lil' mother and a lot of fun on the street and even on the track. I think it is a good base to start off of since you don't have to mess with the motor right away. Yeah it's heavy but if you want to go lighter you'll have to go to a miata or WSX but that is $$$. I would buy a GT then call Maximum Motorsports or Griggs and plan on spending around 5K for a full suspension upgrade or, since you're on a budget, buy some Steeda Sport springs and Tokico D-Specs and some sticky tires and have fun! It doesn't have to be the fastest or best handling! What matters is that it handles well enough for you and what you want it to do. Most important is the driver. Learn to drive it to it's limits and you will yield the most out of the car in whatever state it's in. When you first buy the car take it, in stock form,to the closest road race course near you and sign up for an HPDE(High Performance Driver Education) course. You will really be able to see what the car can and can't do and from that point you will know what mods you want to do to make it better! I bought a 2003 GT and spent 2 days driving it stock so that I could see what it was I did and didn't like about the car. After that I was able to determine what I needed to do to make the car do what I wanted it to do. I can say that that was money well spent. I saved a lot of money by knowing the parts that I wanted to make the car do what I wanted it to do and not just take a stab in the dark by listening to other guys tell me what I needed for my car. Everyone has different expectations for how they want their car to perform. I'll probably start doing some HP mods fairly soon but for the way I want to drive the car(Not Drag but Road Race) I figure I'll only need around 60-100 hp more than stock. The only time you need that much HP is on the straights anyways. In the corners you'll never go near what the car can do. If anything the HP modsI want to do would be better spent on improving the Torque of the car rather than the overall HP. This way I can get out of the corners much faster plus I have plenty of gear to make it to the next corner before I have to downshift!

Check out the suspension mods I did!
https://mustangforums.com/m_4091278/tm.htm

John
Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

Mustangs are hugely popular in amercian iron etc etc. Its not htat hard to make them handle well.

If autocross is your interest, I would buy the GT. Then, I would upgrade the front brakes with the bullitt/cobra 13 inch rotor upgrade (400). Next, springs/shocks/struts/control arms would be a good place to start, this isn't that expensive if you shop carefully. Just ballpark your looking at what, 400 for springs, between 150 and400 for shocks and struts, and between 200 and 400 on control arms.

Next I would start on the rest of the suspension, like a strut tower brace, the roll bars front and rear, and at that point if it still isn't enough you can start looking at coilover setups etc. I am sure there is more you could do, but my primary interest is definatly not handling.

I would say a spring/shock/strut/controlarm/brace/rollbar equipped GT would handle pretty dammed good with the right set of tires on it.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I had a coilover set up on my 2000 GT with KYB AGX shocks/struts. I also had it lowered on C springs in the rear. It handles ridiculously better than stock. If you going coilovers, control arms, strut tower bar, shock tower brace, subframe connectors, cc plates, nice tires, 4 point k member brace and all that other stuff, the car would handle ridiculously.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Something else to think about. I don't need to chime in on what to do with the suspension. Everyone above me has given VERY good advise; listen to it. But what I would add is WAIT! Patience is key when buying one of these and here's why: There a A LOT of people that get their Mustangs and then while they are paying them off, start modding them. They throw all sorts of money into them and then realize they don't have enough left over to make the payments. Or another example is someone gets a Mustang, puts lots of mods on it, and then gets married or ready to have a child. They HAVE to sell the car for a grocery getter.

The point is, people sell their modded cars all the time. You're not the only one that wants a car to handle well and many people (myself included) do the suspension as their first mods. So WAIT. Save your money and just watch the cars that pop up for sale. Look everywhere. Set what color interior/exterior you want. Cloth/leather? Vert or hard top? Decide on these things, then wait. There WILL BE a Mustang pop up that's perfect for you and when you get it, you'll love it even more because you took the time to find it. I absolutely love my car, but I rushed into it. If I had to do it over, I'd have waited for a tripple back color scheme and would have gotten a PI engine. But, life goes on. My car's still the best there is

So take this for what it's worth, but I woul highly recommend you go against the natural instinct to "have it now." Just take your time and find the perfect one and that way, you can save some money in mods AND you'll never look at any BMW with envy again. (maybe[8D])
Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

The information above is all reliable and good... I couldn't of said it better myself.
Welcome to the forums... I will say dont get a V6.. I had one before my GT, and as you can see I sold it and got a GT.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 00o00colin00o00

okay so I’m super new to this forum.... I registered 15 mins ago... anyhow I’m hoping to buy a mustang in the near future, and I have a couple of questions and goals for this car, and well this looks like the best place to ask them.

So first off I’minterested in the 1999 to 2005 sn-95 model... but i don't know weather or not to get the GT or the V6?

My goal is to have the best handling one, so naturally my first question is weather or not the stock GT has different suspension then the regular stock V6?

Also which is easier to upgrade in the future (suspension)?

I care much more about the handling then I do the strait line speed for the time being... so that is mainly what I want to focus on
BUT is the GT much faster, what I’m trying to ask I guess is the GT worth it?

Also which will be more reliable in the long run?

For a 1999 mustang what kind of mileage should I be looking for? What is too much?

How long do both of these engines last (mileage wise)?

a little background on me... basically I’m in College so I don't have loads and loads of money, and I don't yet have a job... so there is no income yet either. I am an avid BMW fan, but that’s a distant dream, and I have been in love with the sn95 mustang for a long time, because it has so much potential and looks oh so good! I’m really and handling freak... if you cant tell... I love being able to go around a corner at twice what most people can hehehe. But ya any help is appreciated!!

Thank you so much!!!
Colin
Sn-95 is 94-98

99-04 is refered to as "New edge"
Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Sn-95 is 94-98

99-04 is refered to as "New edge"
94-04 are SN-95's. The 99-04 are called "New Edges."
Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

You're right. The 99+s are new edge sn-95s. My bad. I was having a stoner moment. Man its moments like these that make people think i dont know what im talking about lol [:@][&:]

Quick Reply: handling?