4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust or not

Do it and let us know. You can always go back.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Stangzt98

I have a 985sp there is a lot of differance between our engines but i have straight pipe welded in after the h pipe and i love it! Cost me 80 at local muffler shop but well worth it. I think it sounds better then 90% of the other mustangs i hear around town. But you should not throw any codes because i do not think you have any sensors after your mufflers. So i would say its worth it. I also know a guy with an 03 with straight pipe and his sounds great also! Let me know what you think.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
larbec7

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to take it to the shop and pull my flows off and I will let you all know what "I" think.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Westicle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02WhiteGTVert

ORIGINAL: Westicle

ORIGINAL: larbec7

I have an 2006 GT 4.6. I just took the stock mufflers off and replaced them with some Flow Masters 40. If I take the Flow Masters off I have a few questions.

1. Will I notice a substancial difference in loudness?
2. Will I have to do anything to my electonics to prevent getting any airflow sensor error codes or any other codes
3. Will I have to reprogram anything
4. Will I get bad popping noise
5. Will it sound like crap or will it sound good

Thanks
of course it will be louder, but in an obnoxious way. as far as sensor errors, i really don't know. honestly I'd do a strait pipe or some SLP loudmouth 1's. Slp will make the car sound a lot meaner than those piece of crap flow 40's would. the reason is because they're not chambered like the flows. Check out some sound clips of SLP LM1's, its worth the money.
1. It won't be obnoxiously loud with the stock midpipe.
2. Straight through mufflers sound good with a stock midpipe,but sound like a wet fart with an O/R midpipe
3.Chamberedmufflers w/H-pipe FTMFW.
don't know what kinda strait thru's you've heard with an O/R mid, cuz i disagree. chambered sounds so much worse, esp flow 40's
Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 AM
xplicit_red281gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

there is a guy on here with a slp o/r x and striaght pipes in place of the muffler on the stock catback, sounds pretty good on the clips he has.

i id say it all depends on your deffinition of "sounds like crap" and which midpipe you run.
i agree with this guy lm1 with o/r xis the way to go... my opinion best sound u can get
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

I say it is all about opinion. I know some people might not like the sound, but with my car I have long tubes, o/r X pipe, flowmaster 40s, then dumps for now. this winter when I tear into the car im just going to have the exhaust exit through the sides, directly after the mufflers. Is it loud? yes. But with the nice lopey idle, the exhaust note fits my taste perfectly.... and while sitting on plenty of power, sound is the last concern of mine. so just go do what sounds good to YOU.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

straight pipes is not bad, I took off the stock cat back for a week waiting til my magnafarts got in, sounds ok. I have always wanted to here the stock cat back with an o/r h or x.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

straight pipes is not bad, I took off the stock cat back for a week waiting til my magnafarts got in, sounds ok. I have always wanted to here the stock cat back with an o/r h or x.
I really like the SLP systems and the Borla systems. I've heard that SLP sounds best with the H pipe and Borla with the X. I've listened to a few clips of both setups and I really like the SLP system, but I'd like an o/r X. Borla sounds wayy better in person than the clips. I know it's mostly personal opinion, thats what I'm looking for! I dont want an obnoxious loud, I want a deep, bassy loud. Any thoughts on what might sound best without the cats and an X pipe?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

no one can tell you what sounds best to you, but I like magnafarts, I have a clip in the sig, sounds somewhat relative to what it really sounds like
Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

no one can tell you what sounds best to you, but I like magnafarts, I have a clip in the sig, sounds somewhat relative to what it really sounds like
I know, I'm just trying to search for ideas. Right now it's completely stock so I have all options to work with.

I listened to your clip, I really like the wayy that sounds.

Quick Reply: Exhaust or not