4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stalling....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Default Stalling....

Well, im going out to my car to change my header/midpipe gasket, and I go to back the car up to have a little bit more room for the jack and stands, I put my foot on the clutch, and on the brake, completely normal, right?

Started the car, RPM rose to like 1k, then dropped down to 0. Stall. I was like wtf? Tried it again, same thing.

This had JUST happened to my roommates ion a couple days ago, although she has an auto. We started the car with a foot on the brake, and giving it a little gas, started right up and idled happily. I tried the same thing.

The car would continue to run, although only if I held the gas down. As soon as I took my foot off the gas, it would stall.

Whats interesting is that I DID try backing up and going forward in 1st, and those work, as long as I always have my foot on the gas.

Could this be the IAC? Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: Just saw this article:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php

After some replies, I'll have my friend drive me to the store and get some carb cleaner, and I'll see if that works. Because the IAC is really sounding like its the problem now.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stalling....

sounds like your idle air control motor is bad. when you crack the throttle your eliminating the function of it as your allowing air to enter the motor through the throttle.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

sounds like your idle air control motor is bad. when you crack the throttle your eliminating the function of it as your allowing air to enter the motor through the throttle.
That could very well be the issue. I've had the same thing happening on my 98 gt, turned out that the IAC valve was stuck shut, and it burnt up the motor.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Well, had my friend drive me to Pep Boys, picked up a $4 can of RCR Carb Cleaner, sprayed it in the hole on the IACV, and used q-tips to really get in there, and also some in the T/B.

Waited 15 minutes, gave it a little gas, started RIGHT up, and stayed at a little below 1k RPM...and stayed there.

Sure as hell beats buying a brand new IAC!!!

Thanks guys.