Overheating and a leak?? - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Overheating and a leak??

Old 11-01-2007, 03:08 AM
geo1400

Default Overheating and a leak??

Hi guys, i'm new to the mustang and the forum!!

I bought a '98 mustang GT a week ago and already had a couple of problems. I'll explain below and see if you can help. I'm quite handy around a car so not scared to tackle a prob myself. The only thing is I have NO tools having just moved to Dubai!! Anyway, see what you think.

1) Noticed a leak coming from the front (radiator area) of the car. It's a red liquid. I thought Power steering fluid but it isn't that because I am not losing any. It only leaks when the engine is running. If it helps, it's a lighter red than PAS fluid and smells different, almost Fruity???

2) 1 day later, A/C starts blowing hot at standstill - cold when moving.

3) Soon after that, in traffic, temp needle starts rising and before I know i've lost all my water out the radiator and steem coming from the expansion tank.

4) Let it cool for a bit, fill it back up with water and NO water leaks. Run the engine for a little and still no water leaks but still red fluid leaking.

I hope I havn't goe overboard with that description, but I though i'd be as specific as possible.

Any help appreciated!!

Thank you, Geo1400
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Overheating and a leak??

Is it an auto? Sounds like tranny fluid leaking by the tranny cooler.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

Put some guages on that A/C system. I'm betting your freon is low.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
geo1400

Yes it is an auto and where is the tranny cooler so I can check that out? I really don't want to drive it then cause i've lost a lot of red fluid!!

And, what are freons? and why do you think they'll be low?? is it related to the leak or just the hot A/C?

Thanks guys!!

Geo1400
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Freon is the refrigerant in the AC system. It could be low if it's not blowing cold air. This red fluid that is leaking...is it oily to the touch..slick? You said it smells fruity....antifreeze has a sweet smell to it. Now my GT has Green anitfreeze, but I know some of it is red. The fact that is smells "fruity" and your car is overheating makes me think you are leaking antifreeze. BTW, you don't put water in the radiator, you put antifreeze. well you are supposed to put antifreeze anyways. Sounds to me like a cracked radiator, maybe a bad radiator hose.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Follow the lines back from the trans to the radiator and look for a leak. Check your trans fluid and make sure you're not low. Freon is not used in cars anymore. Take it to a shop and have them check out your AC system. They'll hook up some guages and an AC machineand recharge it with some dye. If it happens again bring it back to them and have them look for an AC leak. And as far as the coolant leak, you could have a leak and just not see it yet. There could also just be an air bubble. Use water to fill up your car and look for the leak. Get a pressure tester. If you find the leak, fix it and fill your radiator with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 AM
geo1400

UPDATE!!

The overheating turned out to be a broken fan. The fan wiring was all burnt out and so was the motor. So I got that fixed and was suprisingly expensive but anyway it's done.

The leak is apparently coming from the oil cooler. So it is Trans oil. I've been told I need a whole new radiator cause the cooler is attached to it???!! and the price was not pretty!! What can I do?? I'm going to try and source a cheaper replacement rad and cooler but I want to know if this is a job that can be done quite easily? I'll need to buy some tools cause I have nothing here in Dubai but is it a DIY job??

I was also told my 2 engine mounts need replaced and I have a leak from the trans oil pump seal. Cheap for the seal but very expensive for the labour!!

The oil cooler is priority cause the leak is quite bad, any advice???

Cheers Geo1400
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
geo1400

I live in Dubai so i'd eed to source someting like that locally. Can you not simply buy an oil cooler on it's own from Ford?? or is it attached to the rad?

I checked the leak out and the worst seems to be coming from the pipe going into the top of the cooler, almost as if it just needs tightening!! Do they have seals which perish???

I don't want to take it off incase I lose too much fluid or completely bust the seal, so I might just try tightening it.

Any advice on whether or not replacing the oil cooler is a DIY job or not?

Cheers, Geo1400
Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Geo, it's entirely possibly that the fitting on the top of the trans oil cooler could be lose, but it could also be a cracked trans cooler line. Make sure you figure out what is wrong with it before you start to order new parts. As far as the pump seal goes, you may just want to take it somewhere and have it done by a professional who has lift and tool access. This is deff. one of the more labor intensive jobs. It's not hard, just very time comsuming.