4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Downshifting on the Highway (Help)

Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
rawkuspaul

Default Downshifting on the Highway (Help)

I have a 2001 Cobra and am wondering if I can get some tips on downshifting on the highway for the purpose of going around another car.

I'm new to manual transmissions so I haven't experimented with it much, so today I gave it a shot but what happened was, I was going about 60MPH in 4th gear and I push the clutch, drop it into 3rd , hit the gas the RPMS shoot up to like 3500 but pushing on the gas does absolutely nothing to give me that boost. What am I doing wrong, am I downshifting at wrong speeds, or wrong gears? Anyone here who can give me sum tips , appreciated, thank you!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Master
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Downshifting on the Highway (Help)

down shifting to 3rd at 60 MPH should have given you enough to pass the slo **** with no problem at all
Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

when i downshift to 3rd at that speed my car really takes off. it could be the way your doing it not helping? are you revving it up and then letting off the clutch or are you dropping it slowly till you just hit the gas? what i do is rev it up some and then drop the clutch and nail it.... dont know what is best though.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 AM
rawkuspaul

yea hmm... not sure why it didn't work. Could it be because I pressed on the gas too lightly, was I suppose to hit the gas pretty hard when doing the downshift?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
rawkuspaul

The way i would do it....

At 60MPH.... in 4th drop down on the clutch and slowly push the gas pedal while releasing the clutch slowly without revving. apparently that isn't working lol. The RPMs just jump but I gain no acceleration
Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 AM
STA
1st Gear Member

Do you have a problem in 1st gear at 2500 RPM. if so maybe something is wrong with your ride.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 AM
rawkuspaul

in 1st gear at 2500 RPM is when I usually switch into 2nd , no probs with that I'm pretty sure
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 AM
STA
1st Gear Member

Also be careful down shifting on the highway from my own experience I had to change one gear box because I chipped the synchronies gears and broke my fork in my gear box[sm=oopssign.gif]. I replaced the gear box but me being such a trigger happy mustang driver I ended up doing the same thing to my current gear box[sm=headbang.gif]. Next gear box I get will be a high performance one!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

Here's the problem, you have no power! You need to go trade that thing in, get yourself an 03/04 Cobra, then when you down shift into 2nd at 60, you can burn to 80, then shift into 3rd, hell you can even break the wheels loose. Oh wait, mine is not stock anymore....
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Try and do it slowly, like when you first learned to drive a manual. If your in 4th gear, and want to downshift to 3d... Depress the clutch and shift to 3rd, then slowll release the clutch while depressing the gas pedal. You should be able to feel when it starts pulling, watch the RPM's. After a while you'll learn the car and just know how much gas to use in any gear at any specific RPM. You shouldn't have any trouble engaging 3rd gear on a downshift or upshift with a clutch/tranny in good condition. It's just like starting out, just release the clutch and depress the gas slowly till you feel the car start to pull. After a while you should be able to heel-toe it in one quick motion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downshifting on the Highway (Help)