4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

nitrous + diablo tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

Default nitrous + diablo tuner

ok i need help so i have had the nitrous kit on my car for the longest time with full bottle but never spray yet.. i heard that if u spray do take 2 degrees out of the timing can some one tell me how to do that with my diablo tuner like where to go and what to set it at. right now i think its on a 50 dry but moving up to 100 after i try it. is it ok to run dry for a while. its got 108k miles. with a auto and other mods
Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
sickness
1st Gear Member

Default RE: nitrous + diablo tuner

i run a wet kit... dry kit,... i would take it to someone who tunes mustangs..and have it tuned for spray...
a wet kit you are spraying the extra fuel with the nitrious,, dry you are relying on fuel injection to compansate.. nitrious bob know some about dry kits pm him..if you are not going to have it tuned i would pull 3 degrees of timing and fatten up the fuel.. but it would take it to someone who tunes mustangs ..
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt use the spray with the diablo tune unless you know where your afr is
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

If everything looks like it runs ok on the 50, take out 2 degrees and try it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Make sure you have 93 in the tank. If you are a little worried, splash some 110 octane in there for the test trail runs. That will "band-aid" any timing issues you could have.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

You can most definitely spray it and tune it with the Diablo but you have to go into the options and adjust timing and fuel at the different RPM ranges, 0-2000 RPM leave alone, 2000-4000 & 4000 - 6000add at least 4 % fuel and take out 2 deg of timing for every 50 HP of nitrous you want to run.

You also want to make sure that the dry kit is installed in front of the MASS AIR METER. If you don't have it BEFORE the MAF, the car will not richen up the mixture and you'll go super lean! If you have it in front of the MAF make sure it's at least 6-8 inches away from the Electronics inside the MAF as it will freeze the sensor if it's too close. If you're running a straight shot air kit you can put the jet in the end of the filter aiming straight up at the MAF. If it's a fenderwell kit, put it at the point that it turns into the fender aiming straight at the MAF as long as it's 6-8 inches away. If not, put it in line in the fender and it'll turn the corner to the MAF.

Hope this helps and good luck. It would be a good idea to get it dyno'd first to make sure the A/F is not way off on the diablo, then dbl check it on the dyno with the nitrous installed. Also, monitor the bottle pressure as it will directly effect the hit of nitrous. At lower than 800 psi it will not respond very well. You want the bottle at 950-1100 psi for optimal performance. Don't let is get above 1200 psi as it might stick the solenoid or could burst the blow off valve. To properly heat up the bottle, get a bottle warmer or put the bottle in a 5 gal bucket of hot water from the shower or other source. WATCH the pressure rise at it will only take a couple minutes or so to get it up to 1200 psi that way. DO NOT TORCH the bottle. This will stress crack it from the inside out. Only heat it with a hot water bath or an appropriate bottle heater.

One last thing, make sure to put some fresh plugs in the car BEFORE running the nitrous. I recommend the NGK TR55 to be 1/2 step colder for a small shot 100 or less, or a TR6NGK if you want tobe super safe. Gap them down to 35 NOT the factory 54 spec gap. This will ensure you don't blow out spark and help initiate a better flame front for the nitrous.

Let us know if you need anything else.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas_Hot_Rods

You can most definitely spray it and tune it with the Diablo but you have to go into the options and adjust timing and fuel at the different RPM ranges, 0-2000 RPM leave alone, 2000-4000 & 4000 - 6000add at least 4 % fuel and take out 2 deg of timing for every 50 HP of nitrous you want to run.

You also want to make sure that the dry kit is installed in front of the MASS AIR METER. If you don't have it BEFORE the MAF, the car will not richen up the mixture and you'll go super lean! If you have it in front of the MAF make sure it's at least 6-8 inches away from the Electronics inside the MAF as it will freeze the sensor if it's too close. If you're running a straight shot air kit you can put the jet in the end of the filter aiming straight up at the MAF. If it's a fenderwell kit, put it at the point that it turns into the fender aiming straight at the MAF as long as it's 6-8 inches away. If not, put it in line in the fender and it'll turn the corner to the MAF.

Hope this helps and good luck. It would be a good idea to get it dyno'd first to make sure the A/F is not way off on the diablo, then dbl check it on the dyno with the nitrous installed. Also, monitor the bottle pressure as it will directly effect the hit of nitrous. At lower than 800 psi it will not respond very well. You want the bottle at 950-1100 psi for optimal performance. Don't let is get above 1200 psi as it might stick the solenoid or could burst the blow off valve. To properly heat up the bottle, get a bottle warmer or put the bottle in a 5 gal bucket of hot water from the shower or other source. WATCH the pressure rise at it will only take a couple minutes or so to get it up to 1200 psi that way. DO NOT TORCH the bottle. This will stress crack it from the inside out. Only heat it with a hot water bath or an appropriate bottle heater.

One last thing, make sure to put some fresh plugs in the car BEFORE running the nitrous. I recommend the NGK TR55 to be 1/2 step colder for a small shot 100 or less, or a TR6NGK if you want tobe super safe. Gap them down to 35 NOT the factory 54 spec gap. This will ensure you don't blow out spark and help initiate a better flame front for the nitrous.

Let us know if you need anything else.

wow alot of info i need thank man ey about putting the jet in the intake a have what ppl would call a short ram intake the big k&n filter with c&l mass air meter and then stock tube to the tb and plenum i ad set it right before the tb
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that's a common mistake since most people run the wet kits and see it set up close the TB, that's where most of the guys with the Dry kits go seriously wrong. Put a plug in the hole where you had it set up next to the TB or get a wet kit which will work with that set up. If you keep the dry set up just make sure the jet is in front of the MAF. If you don't have the 6-8 inches like I mentioned to put it in front of the MAF, then you can always put it right by the MAF but aim the jet towards the front of the car away from the MAF sensor and let is be drawn back into the MAF so it's not spraying on the electronics directly.

This will make sure the nitrous gets a little more fuel from the computer to keep it from being as lean. Not a fail safe tune, but it will be WAY more safe than spraying it directly into the TB with the MAF not nowing it's there.