4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
mustangmike02
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear leaking?

I have a 2002 Gt that just passed 40k miles. its been garage kept all its life except for one summer and never taken to the track or ran rough. my question is yesterday my parents noticed a oil spot in the garage and to check for leaks and to check my oil. checked my oil this morning and it was fine but my dad looked under the car and noticed oil right under my rear. im not driving it today and im going to drive it to a shop 10 miles up the road tommorow morning. i dont know how long its been leaking for and my dad thinks it might just be a gasket needing to be replaced or i could of cracked the cover or gotten too hot then cold and expanded differently. but i was just wondering if anyone has had this happen.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 AM
qpHalcy0n

Default RE: Rear leaking?

If its coming from the rear it could be the cover gasket, which is just an RTV sealant. You may look around your wheel wells for signs of fluid being slung out of the axle seals, or sometimes pinon seals will leak down the diff and collect around the cover area.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Where's it leaking from? How bad is the leak?

If it's really minor, it may just be coming from the breather, which is normal.

If it's leaking from the differential cover, it's an easy fix... Tube of gasket material = $3? Oil refill = $40+

If it's leaking from the pinion seal (where the driveshaft connects), again, relatively cheap fix. New pinion seal can't be too expensive ($10? someone check me on that), plus add the expenses above.

Same goes if it's leaking at the wheel ends, a new seal/bearing isn't expensive... plust gasket material and oil.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

join the club, leaking rear pinion seal, do I worry about it? No, the leak is so minimal that I change it before it gets low enough to do any harm
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
devore86
2nd Gear Member

Yea man its most likely your pinion seal leaking and running down to the back cover...........in my opinion i wouldnt worry about it.......unless you plan on upgrading your R&P then you mite as well fix it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The infamous pinion seal, not related to stangs, but everytime i take my k5 four wheeling i end up having to replace a pinion seal, ive tried everything, the last thing i could think of is the idiot who re tubed my extended driveshaft didnt have it balanced properly.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:44 PM
mustangmike02
2nd Gear Member

Alright that sounds good. thanks everybody so much.I just wanted to be sure and nothing go wrong in the long run. Thanks for all the help. its a slow leak nothing big just a few small circles. my friend has a lift soI will drive it to his home shop tommorow put it on the lift and fix it this week. Ill probably buy the seal or gasket beforeI take anything off. I looked at a few R&P covers one on american muscle for 160butI think ill just replace the seal.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I dont understand the basic look good diff cover, most people slam their cars enough where you cant see it, hell stock you can barely see mine
Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

hell stock period I cant see that nice n shiny diff cover
Old 11-04-2007, 05:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

hell stock period I cant see that nice n shiny diff cover
An aftermarket girdle (if that's what you are talkin' bout') provides extra support for the diff bearing caps and you can put like an extra 1/2 quart of fluid in it. You can't see it (though it looks cool) but it does provide extra protection.

Quick Reply: Rear leaking?