4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Saving up for a supercharger....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Default Saving up for a supercharger....

I have a 2004 mustang gt, with SLP cat-back exhaust.....By july of 2008 i should have about 3k saved up which i would like to use for a supercharger.....my main goal is to be able to beat a terminator which is probably not possible to do on a 2V, but i would atleast want to keep up with them....in the meantime, i was thinking of getting some supporting mods b4 i drop the big money.....im thinking throttle body/plenum? and would it be wise to get a diablo tuner? What's the safest and best supercharger kit for 3k(alil more or alil less) and how much power will i be at to the wheels.....this car will be my daily driver and i can't compromise reliabilty......thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: Saving up for a supercharger....

you can probly buy mine- im thinking of selling.. its a new v2sq vortech kit...the best you can get for a stock 2v mustang imo... plenty for most and enough to walk a new stock cobra...

but i wouldnt waste money on other mods - buy a blower - its the only thing that will make you happy - trust me... except for an exhaust and a gear... those are worth it
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the motor unless its forged wont take more than 400 at the wheels (some people will go a little higher, but i believe the rods are only rated to 450 hp [thats CRANK horsepower, not rwhp mind you]). im putting a blower on sometime next year and im only gonna put 350 until i get the motor done (my daily driver also). yes it would be wise to get a tuner. you can get multiple tunes (1 conservative for daily driving, then load a more agressive one for track days).
Old 11-04-2007, 11:48 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

i can get a diablo tuner used for $250 so i guess ill hop on that and save some money.....i hear the vortechs are expensive, wouldn't novi or paxton be a better buy? I didn't realize i couldnt put more then 400 to the wheels...i guess that will be my max, i wont have the money to forge my motor.....should i get 3.73 gear or 4.10's now, i hear supercharged with 4.10's will be difficult to get traction?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 AM
jnsnams
1st Gear Member

if i was you i would save for a turbo setup man...alot more power and can get you were you want to be very easy, i have a 95 gt that i did a single turbo setup on that gave me close to 700hp 750ft lbs with a set of good heads and a better intake and big injectors...and thats from a 5.0 that started with 220hp...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: banned

you can probly buy mine- im thinking of selling.. its a new v2sq vortech kit...the best you can get for a stock 2v mustang imo... plenty for most and enough to walk a new stock cobra...

but i wouldnt waste money on other mods - buy a blower - its the only thing that will make you happy - trust me... except for an exhaust and a gear... those are worth it
very nice how much
Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

the motor unless its forged wont take more than 400 at the wheels (some people will go a little higher, but i believe the rods are only rated to 450 hp [thats CRANK horsepower, not rwhp mind you]). im putting a blower on sometime next year and im only gonna put 350 until i get the motor done (my daily driver also). yes it would be wise to get a tuner. you can get multiple tunes (1 conservative for daily driving, then load a more agressive one for track days).
The upper limit of the stock motor is around 450 REAR WHEEL hp. I have been running 420 WHP and 410 FT/LBs for well over a year now with zero problems, running the car hard, even in hot weather.

It would be foolish to buy a tuner now without knowing what the local shop programs, or what whoever you buy the kit from will use.

Its going to be tough to get a kit for 3K with everything you need. I beileve there is a post around here about peiceing your own kit together, but you will still need to find someone to tune the car.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: jEEd

ORIGINAL: banned

very nice how much
... still debating
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

$1600 out the door. How's that sound? That's how much I'll be paying for my S-Trim system once I'm done piecing it together. I am at around $1400 and all I need is a fuel pump. So, $1600 and I can install it. Get a used head unit and shop around for some of the other stuff.

Here's how you do it. This can be found in the "Pipes, Boost and Juice" section. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions on how I did it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Fobra
Banned

beware a used units carries risk, most of them come off of blown motors. That can put particulate metal in the unit itself, this can cause one or two problems or both. 1) the unit can lock up, it will run for a while, but the bearings will fail eventully, 2) the particulate will travel from the unit (which it sucked up when the motor blew) and send into your motor - junking your bearings and your motor and you head unit. Or it might not have had any problems and run just fine, or it could have been maxed out and fail in the near future... there are alot of unknowns, your not protecting yourself adaquately if you run a used headunit on your car and are 100% sure beyond a shadow of doubt as to how it was used and if there was a problem... again this is not always immediate it may function ok, but have problems in the near future. You should have it rebuilt before you use it, so add another 600 or so, and when you add all the odds and ends and shipping costs its about the same price as buying new. Your best bet for used is a lightly used system from somebody you know...the price for a used system is dramatically less because of the associated risks

Quick Reply: Saving up for a supercharger....