4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My Tire Lock Key Broke!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My Tire Lock Key Broke!

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

Go to ford and order a new one. Saves your sockets, and lug nuts. I broke mine because Big-O-Tires does not understand what a torque wrench is for, just went to my buddy who worked at ford and had him order me one.
I tried that. The dealership told me that they couldn't order a key, unless there was a paper tag under the trunk lid with some sort of key identication number. That tag was not there, so they told me it was impossible.
Weird, i am pretty sure my friend used my VIN to get a key. Also his dealership had a set of master keys. He had one to fit my car.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 PM
03truebluegt
2nd Gear Member

my process ruins a socket, but it works. Here is the process:
Get a socket that is slightly smaller than the size of the lug. Take a hammer (mini-sledge prefered) and bang that sucker on there. Then remove the lug and socket with the socket driver.
Works like a charm. Had to do it with a buddy's camaro and it didn't destroy the socket. We used a Spark plug socket I believe? It was a few years ago but we got all 4 off and the socket still works great.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Go to ford and order a new one. Saves your sockets, and lug nuts. I broke mine because Big-O-Tires does not understand what a torque wrench is for, just went to my buddy who worked at ford and had him order me one.
I tried that. The dealership told me that they couldn't order a key, unless there was a paper tag under the trunk lid with some sort of key identication number. That tag was not there, so they told me it was impossible.
Weird, i am pretty sure my friend used my VIN to get a key. Also his dealership had a set of master keys. He had one to fit my car.
I asked specifically if they could get it from my VIN, they said no. OTOH, the guy also told me he had no master key available to remove the locks. Later that same night, I spoke with a friend that worked at the same dealership, and he told me they DID have a master key and the guy I spoke with was an idiot. <I guess I should have added that before, I forgot
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

tried the socket thing and i guess i couldn't get it to work. I tried several different sizes and couldn't get the ****er off. Went to the dealership and they said they need some card or stamp or somthing and they don't make the keys themselves. He said to break it off.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
my99gt
1st Gear Member

Take the car to a local machine shop. Any good welder can tack weld a nut to the top to the lug. Then just use a socket to get them off. Should not cost more than $25. Also, If you want more locks, I have a set with the key new inpack, never opened . Let me know.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

When I bought my '04 (used), I figured out after a few days that I did not have a key or identification tag. I simply took the car to my local Forddealer who used his master set of 'keys' to remove the locking nuts and I had him replace them with standard lug nuts. Cost about $25 ( the selling dealer reimbursed me ).