4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So I'm gonna have a long weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
snidehockey

Default So I'm gonna have a long weekend

well after confirming w/ a buddy of mine and hearing a vid of someone w/ spun bearing/worn rod bearings I'm gonna replace them this weekend. I am not pullin the engine out...rather I'm gonna follow a step by step thats actually for installing LT headers to get the cross member out of the way of the oil pan. Once access is gained to the pan I can finally get a look at whats makin all that noise and replace em!

When I'm in there is there anything I should inspect? Oil Pump?

Any tips or surprises I might run into on droppin the suspension?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So I'm gonna have a long weekend

You got 1 thing right, it's gonna be a long weekend! Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

yea it is i just dropped the k member for changing the manifold gasket, what a friggin pain in the ***, i hope you have a way of suspending the engine cuz i used a floor jack and you wont be able to do much undetr the car with the floor jack there

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
snidehockey

do the engine mounts go through the k member?

how bout if I have a jack under the tranny as close to the engine as possible w/out blocking the oil pan?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

You're gonna replace them with the motor in the car? You realize you're gonna do a ton of work and its probably not going to work, right? What if the crank needs to be polished/ground? How are you going to measure it? What if the rod journals are shot? How will you get the crankshaft out without removing the transmission? I don't mean to be an ******* here. I just don't want to see you jump into something without thinking it through. Replacing rod bearings isnt a driveway job...its some serious surgery...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM
snidehockey

I'm really just trying to figure out what to do. I'm stuck between the idea of 70$ for parts and just replacing the bearings and assuming theyre worn. Or get a new one ripped and take it somewhere that will insist on replacing everything...whether necessary or not.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i did rod bearings once on a nissan without any trouble and the motor still in the car.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 PM
snidehockey

yea thats how a buddy of mine made it sound...like not THAT difficukt of a job...as long as metal hasnt been spewed throughout the engine. I'm still up in the air. So basically it can be done but no guarantee that I won't have more problems down the road...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Well, the big thing here is you need to have the crankshaft inspected. If the journals are at all scratched you'll need to have it at least polished. Toremove the crankshaftyou need to remove the transmission and flywheel/clutch too. Its a ton of work to do on your back in a dirty environment. If you don't mind all of that work and the chance that it won't be fixed, then go for it, you've only got 70 bucks to lose.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Is it really that much of a pain in the *** to take out the engine on these cars? Wouldn't it be worth it to rent a cherry picker and engine stand and do all your work from there?

Quick Reply: So I'm gonna have a long weekend