4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Couldn't wait for spring....

Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default Couldn't wait for spring....

Been awhile since I posted, but I'm still here.

Alright, so I said I was going to wait till spring to start throwing money into my car again...well, couldn't wait. I broke down and ordered a Hi-Flo intake package from RPMOutlet.com.

I got a C&L Trueflow Intake Plenum w/ C&L 80/85mm Mass-Air Kit and a Trueflow Inlet Pipe. Also got a Accufab 75mm Throttle Body.

It claims something in the neighborhood of 30+ rwhp. I'll have to wait till the spring/early summer to get dyno numbers so I guess we'll see. I will hopefully soon pick up a better suspension and headers/x-pipe, right now it is just a matter of money.

My mods so far: 4.11 gears, Tri-X shifter, Steeda subframe, Steeda lowering kit, steeda caster/camber plates, SLP Loudmouth exhaust (love that sound!), K&N air filter, Diablosport Predator and a bunch of useless appearance mods.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Couldn't wait for spring....

MAKE SURE YOU GET A TUNE! C&L MAF meters have a great tendancy to make the car run extremly LEAN and can be difficult to get it back to good. The predator doesn't have a enough capability as a handheld to bring it in and will need to have a custom program written.

I know of several guys on other boards that pulled them because they were hurting them.

As for the Plenum and TB, I just installed them and the car pulls real hard over 3k. I recommend taking some 150 grit and knocking out the rough interior of the C&L and then clean up with some 600, works out nice.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...I have not heard any complaints like that regarding this particular brand and setup. Anybody else have any comments? Where could I go to get such a tune done? I don't know of any dynos in my area...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:09 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Well you said you were going to dyno in the spring/summer. You may have to contact diablo and find out what they will need to write you a custom tune.

I was going to go for that set-up but stayed away after reading the numerous issues people had with the car going lean.

I ended going with the stock MAF (good for alittle over 300hp) and a tunable induction set-up plus the accufab and plenum.

Noticable gain maybe 20 at the most.

HP claims are just that. I have only seen a few people who actaully made what the manufacture highest claim was. That's why they say "up to" instead of just the HP gain.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Am I the only one that noticed "4.11 gears" that should be interesting on a ford.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

At full boltons my C&L meter had me at 12.2:1 A/F, so it was to rich. However, I don't know if it was the C&Ls fault, as i never tryed it with my stock MAF and the rest of the boltons.

If your gonna get a tune anyway (and you should) just hold off installing the meter until you get to the shop. They can then tune your computer for your meter.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Aliate X

Am I the only one that noticed "4.11 gears" that should be interesting on a ford.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

How come you didn't go with the Accufab plenum, especially since you went with the Accufab throttle body? The Accufab plenum was rated top in total HP and torque gains over its rivals. I hope you don't overthroat the air intake to create a lean condition and bog down your low end torque. This can happen. Accufab actually recommends the 70mm throttle body for most uses unless you do alot of other extensive engine mods. You may find you'll be better off with a larger size fuel injector with this setup. But, then again, you'd have to also get a recalibrated MAF to be compatible with the bigger injectors.

BTW, my favorite has always been "useless appearance mods"..........love 'em, AND they can't cause any running problems! Enjoy your ride.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

4.11 = Ford Gear

4.10 = Chevy Gear

Technically he is correct and everyone who says 4.10 is wrong. 4.10 is easier to say and is essentially the same gear.

70mm Accufab with the Accufab set is perfered on a N/A stang

75mm Accufab with the C&L is a better combo because the C&L is designed for a 75mm TB. The difference between C&L and Accufab power (1-2hp), IMO, is not worth the extra 120+ dollars and you can pick some up just by smoothing out the C&L from it's rough ported finish.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Master
3rd Gear Member

i thought 4.10 is the 8.8 and the 4.11 is the posi 9" rear end

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couldn't wait for spring....