4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

[TECH] UPDATED Need Help! Dyno-Tune Results in FAIL

Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default [TECH] UPDATED Need Help! Dyno-Tune Results in FAIL

[UPDATE] okay so on my way over to CobraStangGT16's house to head over to the Savi Ranch Meet, my car would knock / internal noises would come about at 3k-4k RPM so i took it over to my dad's who is a mechanic (rather than goign to the meet and im glad i didn't now) and he diagnosted it as my bottom end is shot... so even doing a compression test will just tell me that a couple of the cyclinders failed... reason why i would keep dynoing less and less and why it didn't dyno full potential at first. so here are my options...

1. Get bottom end rebuilt with forged internals (crank/pistons/rods)
2. Find a Cobra Motor w/ ECU harnesses etc.. & Transmission and do a 4v swap
3. Sell the car and buy a honda [&:] jk! lol
4. your suggestions?

my dad said the car will **** on me really soon when im driving so i need to get this done soon! quick help and suggestions are needed! pricings / brands would also be really good too!

okay so today at GRCPerformance while everyone was getting pleased with their results... my car ran like SHlT literally...

my mods:
[*]PI Swap (H/C/I) '03 Heads/Cams [reconditioned/ valve jobs w/ 12k miles] '04 Intake w/ crossover [15k miles] [*]Magnaflow X Pipe [*]Flowmaster CB [*]JLT CAI [*]Accufab 75mm TB/Plenum

post tune : 226rwhp 265rwtq (first 2 runs were 222 & 226)
after tune: 215rwhp 250rwtq (fixing A/F Ratio to 12.8 and advancing sparkplugs 14*)
then after that it just keep getting ****tier and ****tier... to 210rwhp and 246rwtq

so pretty much every time after we started to tune the car... it would keep dyno-ing less and less... and whats odd is that it would dyno like it was an NPI Engine, falling flat on its face after 4800rpm... which i know its not because i did the pi swap myself.

[*]did a dyno run w/o my CAI adaptor and made it a RAI. still same results. (210ish)[*]checked the filter and then did a dyno run w/o the filter and made the same results(210ish)
[*]MAF sensor was cleaned.. the engine knows its going WOT soo thats accounted for [*]checked all injectors / sparkplug wires [*]O2 Sensors were replaced just recently and so were the intake manifold ones. [*]changed the sparkplugs to NGK V-Power TR55 and gapped to .054 (i had Autolite Platinum before swapping these in) and resulted in the same as all the rest... [*]then we turned the timing back to stock and kept the A/F and dynoed the same [*]took out the chip and ran it stock and it ran like it did post tune (210ish) [*] and we checkd for exhaust leaks and if any wires were arching but nope they were okay.

so now i wonder whats wrong with my car? any ideas? no cel pops up, idles fine, not misfiring, firing order seems fine... he knows theres something wrong w/ my car but it was getting late and a whole day of dynotuning. its just bugging me really bad and we wont be able to do more tests on it til monday since the shop is closed sunday.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: [TECH] Need Help! Dyno-Tune Results in FAIL

out of the 21 views... not one person has any clue or input of whats going on here :'[ this makes me sad.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Offhand first impression? your tuner has absolutly no idea wtf he is doing.

mustang dyno or dynojet?

edit: can you post the dynos? What was the engine temp, really hot or did you let it cool down?

If its falling off around 4500 is it getting good fuel or pulling timing? did you use something to datalog so you could see what the timing etc was doing?

Old 11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

lol yeah that would be the first impression except he's tuned alot of mustangs and he said that even the last sn95 GT w/ PI Swap dyno tuned at around 255-265rhwp which was recent.

Dynojet - we let the car cool down before each run and even let it "completely" cool down reason why we ran it at different times / temperatures (10AM / 6PM)

A/F Ratio was right at 12.8 all the way throughout and on some pull it'd pull a lil more or less but its in the "decent" range.

i believe it had the datalog since we were using a diablo handheld tuner and the timing was stock and we advanced it 14* and pulled the same numbers...

we are going to do a compression test on all the cylinders but i was just hoping for some answers to the problem incase i pass the compression test because im SOL if this car is retarded and dyno tunes w/ fixed A/F and 14* timing less than baseline....
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Did your tuner, reflash your ECU or did he burn you a custom chip? If your tune is in a chip and he didn't prep the PCM board, (clean the coppers) sometimes it can adversly affect it working. The problem is 100 percent in the tune...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Did your tuner, reflash your ECU or did he burn you a custom chip? If your tune is in a chip and he didn't prep the PCM board, (clean the coppers) sometimes it can adversly affect it working. The problem is 100 percent in the tune...
burned me a custom tune on a chip, the handheld tuner was used only to turn off some settings...

im not sure if he did or did not cleant he PCM Board, how is it suppose to look like in my computer ? i can access it right now to see or if you want i can go take a picture of it.

but once we took out the chip and tried to run it completely stock w/o fixing A/F or the Timing... it would dyno 210ish where only the first two baseline runs did bad but better than what it was w/ the A/F & Timing...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:16 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

help!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Compression test time.

Other than that, all I can think of is smart ***, non productive wisecracks....[>:]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:35 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: POISND U

Compression test time.

Other than that, all I can think of is smart ***, non productive wisecracks....[>:]
please elaborate :[ doing a compression test will result in what? and if it "fails" what does it mean? this makes me sad.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't rule out the tune right away.

Ask him if he can datalog the car while your running it on the dyno, and SEE what the timing is at each point. The ECU can pull timing if it thinks its developing a knock.

93 octane fuel? And can you POST the dyno? it really doesn't make since if its a compression issue since it drops at 4500 RPM... i would think a loss of compression would result in low power everywhere, not a peak power output of aroudn 4500

Scan it in an post it! hell, take a pic of it with a digital camera if you have to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [TECH] UPDATED Need Help! Dyno-Tune Results in FAIL