4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket steering wheel

i have one and need to install it soon, long story short i dont have air bags

I heard you need a special tool to install a steering wheel?

is this true? or is it a piece of cake. from the few bolts that come with it, it looks simple
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket steering wheel

if you dont know a mechanic that can let you use a wheel removal tool for all of 5 minutes, go to autozone or carquest or somewhere like that and they should loan you one. you like give them a deposit, then bring it back and get your deposit back. i would change it right in their parking lot too, like i said, it shouldnt take more than 5-10 minutes to change a steering wheel.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you still have the OEM wheel in place you may need to remove the clockspring to install an aftermarket hub--that's a "sort of" involved project, here's the procedure form the factory manual...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Keep in mind, it's federal law that all cars that come equipped with airbags have them installed and functioning, even in the event of an accident deploying them. You cannot legally operate the car without them. Hopefully you have a tie with inspection and never get pulled by the cops.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

ya i know, lol i wanna be a cop, but this is the best way around it, unless you have 1600 to cough up for air bags cause i dont
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Nothing like your face bouncing off the steering wheel....[8D]

Maybe you should keep saving the money until you can replace them. I'm not sure what the fines are, but I can't imagine they are chump change...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Nothing like your face bouncing off the steering wheel.... [8D]
It would be just like driving pre airbag cars...

I have seen in the Mustang catologs that they sell a "fake" air bag steering incerts that looks just like a factory airbag steering wheel.

I think it was like $150 or something, but definatly less then $200.

Of coarse they say in fine print in the catolog they are for off road use only, only you would know of its existence, until you got into a accident of coarse and the insurance CO looks into why the airbag didn't deploy. [8D]
Lynn
Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Keep in mind, it's federal law that all cars that come equipped with airbags have them installed and functioning, even in the event of an accident deploying them. You cannot legally operate the car without them. Hopefully you have a tie with inspection and never get pulled by the cops.
[/align][/align]Keep in mind also that the Federal government has no Constitutional authority to enactsuch laws and regulation, not that this has prevented them (or will prevent them in the future) from doing so. [/align][/align]Nonetheless they, and the rest of the "be afraid" crowd,have managed to brainwash at least a couple generations into subscribing to the inevitability of automobile crashes--as evidenced by some of the responses to this thread. Crashes are not inevitable, and in fact almost all could readily be avoided if at least one of the drivers involved drove within their own and their vehicle's limitations, anticipated the outcome of their and other's actions, and exercised just basic defensive driving techniques.[/align][/align]I drive 600+ miles a week, and have done so for the best part of my 45 years on the road. In that time I have crashed 3 times (2 cars, one motorcycle), all of which were my fault; and all of which happened over 25 years ago before my brain was fully developed (this happens around age 35 for men, 28 or so for women).[/align][/align][step down off soap box][/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

thats all fine and dandy cliffy, but what if its the other person whose at fault? ive been in one wreck that was remotely my fault (ive been rear ended about a dozen times, t boned, side swiped, run over by an 18 wheeler trailer (i should have stopped farther back as he was turning 90 degrees toward me), i think thats about it.

either way if your afraid about the airbag thing then just rip the center piece off a scrapped mustang (assuming their bags didnt deploy). they arent gonna go tearing into the car for inspections.

btw when my first mustang was totalled (the t-bone...lady ran a stop sign), i was quoted 6 grand from the insurance company on just the airbag replacements so im guessing for 1600 your doing that all yourself?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align][/align]Keep in mind also that the Federal government has no Constitutional authority to enactsuch laws and regulation, not that this has prevented them (or will prevent them in the future) from doing so. [/align][/align]Nonetheless they, and the rest of the "be afraid" crowd,have managed to brainwash at least a couple generations into subscribing to the inevitability of automobile crashes--as evidenced by some of the responses to this thread. Crashes are not inevitable, and in fact almost all could readily be avoided if at least one of the drivers involved drove within their own and their vehicle's limitations, anticipated the outcome of their and other's actions, and exercised just basic defensive driving techniques.[/align][/align]I drive 600+ miles a week, and have done so for the best part of my 45 years on the road. In that time I have crashed 3 times (2 cars, one motorcycle), all of which were my fault; and all of which happened over 25 years ago before my brain was fully developed (this happens around age 35 for men, 28 or so for women).[/align][/align][step down off soap box][/align]
*golf clap*

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel