4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

spring isolater truth

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

Default spring isolater truth

hey i want to get just thelittlest more lower in the rear and i want to reove the isos, but i hear mixed things about noises etc. whats the real deal with takin em off? and has anybody had experience? thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default RE: spring isolater truth

youll get some squeaking thats for sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

youll get some squeaking thats for sure.
Do you honestly know anything? Or do you just regurgitate what you think other people say.... I've been reading your posts all night and honestly, I'm surprised you have a driver’s license.

As for the question, some people have squeaking. I personally do NOT, and love the ride.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Do you honestly know anything? Or do you just regurgitate what you think other people say.... I've been reading your posts all night and honestly, I'm surprised you have a driver’s license.

As for the question, some people have squeaking. I personally do NOT, and love the ride.
For one, i do not have isolaters, for 2 when i put my new springs on without them i got squeaking, as far as ride quality i don't think it is hampered by not having the isolaters.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

i dunno if this would work with mustangs but for fbodys people take the isolators out and replace it with like a garden hose or somethint similer around the top coil...if this gets rid of the squeeking and still lowers the car. but like i said i dunno if this would work with mustangs, i never got a chance to do suspension work on mine
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

ya i have some double sided tape im thinkin bout puttin there maybe, it helped with my exhaust rattle..haha...so the springs fit in the right spots without the iso's? they wont move around or anything?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you use nothing as isolation you may have some creaking (use a good HP grease to minimise this possibility, but be prepared for it to wash out and have to be replaced), but the greater issue is wear of the seating surfaces. If you don't drive a lot it's not really going to matter, but if you do (15k+ a year) then it could become an issue.[/align][/align]The problem issimilar metals (steel against steel), with thespringbeing quite a bit harder than the seats, however any realdamage resultingfrom this would be 60k to 100k "down the road"...[/align][/align]The isolators have little to nothing to do with ride quality, and since we're talking about lowering cars I think it's safe to assume ride quality is not anyone's #1 concern anyway. They are all about NVH control and good engineering practice aspresented above...[/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Mineralrob
2nd Gear Member

I took mine out and i wrapped a thin layer of electrical tape around the edge and i didnt get any noise. Its just a little harsher when u hit rough bumps.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Fobra
Banned

the only issue is the steel on steel... however it wont cuase a "failure" in the normal sense, but over a lot of miles it might need to be replaced and may damage the seat...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Has anybody used Poly isolators?

Quick Reply: spring isolater truth