4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

with my stage 3 cam i was able to take off without using the gas and go all the way through 4th gear just idling? doesnt seem like i have any problems and i have a 3.73 gear with a very aggressive cam.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: blackonblacksls

im glad that you people realize the mistakes you have made and are making.... your stupid if you think these cars drive like stock when cammed. end of story.
If your car drives/rides/runs like ****, its because the setup is improper, not because you have cams.

I have had the cams in for almost right at 3 years now, and have had the blower with the cams coming up on 2 years. The only issues I have ever had with it are problems with idle, and that was because I dicked around with the handheld and set the idle around 750 RPM... at 900+ it idles fine (lope/choppy, but fine) and i have zero drivablilty issues.

Nobody is "making mistakes" and nobody is admitting anything... because there is nothing to admit. If your car idles/runs like ****, slap your tuner and find someone else to set it up properly. My tuner has never even seen the car and it idles/drives just as smooth as stock... if it wasn't for the heavy stage 3 clutch your grandma could drive it with 420 WHP (assuming your grandma can drive a stick at all).
mine idles at 950 no problems at all that doesnt change anything.... you can go on and on all you want about how modulars take cams but your wrong... go drive a stock car and you will realize how dumb you sound.....
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

what is different about an aftermarket clutch???????????? you cant slip them, that is the point im tryin to make it requires alot of slippage which will kill a clutch if its done long term... get over it son, your wrong and are probly an idiot... now go cry about it in the corner and leave to advice to people who know what they are sayin.
rofl...

Is this guy serious? 65 posts??? Rofl!

The OP (that means original poster nooby) has a spec stage 1... which is nearly like stock, and very able to slip.

I have a spec stage 3, and it still slips enough to take off easy... you just have to have some driving ablitity and some patence. The stage 3 is ALOT of clutch, yet I don't seem to have any wear issues etc etc after driving it for 2-3 years....

If your having enough of an issue with your stage 2 cams that its causing you to have driving problems, its either your setup or your driving. Its simply not that hard to do, and a wimpy stock motor/stage 1-2 cam doesn't cause the car to loose drivabilty.

Seriously, i don't want to get into a pissing match, but me > you. 65 posts in and you have already managed to annoy 2 of the biggest posters/most knowledgeable people in 4.6L... congradulations.

to the OP: You are FINE to drive it like this while saving for your new gears, END of story. It will not be fast, it won't be right, but it will drive well enough that you can get around without worry of damaging anything or being embrassed by stalling it all the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

with my stage 3 cam i was able to take off without using the gas and go all the way through 4th gear just idling? doesnt seem like i have any problems and i have a 3.73 gear with a very aggressive cam.
ok well you having 3.73 isa big difference... thats the point guy, you need gears thanks for helping me prove it.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

oh yeah i guess i forgot that post count means everything.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 AM
MACH5IVE
3rd Gear Member

oh yeah i guess i forgot that post count means everything.
Well atleast now you know, and be sure not toever forget thatagain!

But seriously, dudeyou're arguing with a guy who i've never seen give misinfo.!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

im glad that you people realize the mistakes you have made and are making.... your stupid if you think these cars drive like stock when cammed. end of story.
If your car drives/rides/runs like ****, its because the setup is improper, not because you have cams.

I have had the cams in for almost right at 3 years now, and have had the blower with the cams coming up on 2 years. The only issues I have ever had with it are problems with idle, and that was because I dicked around with the handheld and set the idle around 750 RPM... at 900+ it idles fine (lope/choppy, but fine) and i have zero drivablilty issues.

Nobody is "making mistakes" and nobody is admitting anything... because there is nothing to admit. If your car idles/runs like ****, slap your tuner and find someone else to set it up properly. My tuner has never even seen the car and it idles/drives just as smooth as stock... if it wasn't for the heavy stage 3 clutch your grandma could drive it with 420 WHP (assuming your grandma can drive a stick at all).
mine idles at 950 no problems at all that doesnt change anything.... you can go on and on all you want about how modulars take cams but your wrong... go drive a stock car and you will realize how dumb you sound.....
i have friends with stock cars, friends with bolton only cars, friends with bolton/nitrous cars, and my own car... how many cars do I have to drive?

Is there some magic to it? What exactly is so horrible about your car that it drives like hell now and not like stock? maybe if you describe the problem we can help you with it.

Mod motors take cams excellent. Its 100 percent drivable with even a stage 2 cam, I lost very little MPG, it idles smoothly, and it takes off fine... what more is there???

Maybe YOUR car isn't "taking" to cams very well, but that means something is wrong.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

ok well you having 3.73 isa big difference... thats the point guy, you need gears thanks for helping me prove it.
yes, i do have a gear. but my car was also untuned at the time and it idles rough enough that when you turn on the a/c, it dies.

and probably the most common first upgrade for anyone is a gear for their stang after like mufflers. i had gears way before i did the cams. i was also blown at the time the cams went in.... the car had more drag on the enginewhen taking off from the blower. no problems what so ever either. you can argue with me forever about this but any stage 1 or 2 cam will not cause drivability drivers unless your one of those guys that likes to rev it and drop the clutch to take off and chug the car, if you do that i would suggest you find an EXPERIENCED driver to show you otherwise.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i have friends with stock cars, friends with bolton only cars, friends with bolton/nitrous cars, and my own car... how many cars do I have to drive?

Is there some magic to it? What exactly is so horrible about your car that it drives like hell now and not like stock? maybe if you describe the problem we can help you with it.

Mod motors take cams excellent. Its 100 percent drivable with even a stage 2 cam, I lost very little MPG, it idles smoothly, and it takes off fine... what more is there???

Maybe YOUR car isn't "taking" to cams very well, but that means something is wrong.
he probably put in some stage 2 comps and didnt know they have 5 degree's advancing and hit some pistons on some valves. [&:]
Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

well damn yallmust havegoodluck cause you both aretwo of the only modulars i have ever heard of that have stock like drivability with cams... even built cobra guys notice a difference when going to cam...hell evenmod motor builders will tell you, a little more rev is required on take offand touse the appropriate gears... hell they even saybucking and such is common with cams in 5th gear at low rpm..... ask anyone who has seen my car if i slip the clutch and let it idle in 1st gear it just surges and jumps around.....ask flash 20 i do it at the parking lotsat the local meets all the time...i dont understand why people on this board are so damn hardheaded... kinda makes sense though with all the pretty done up sigs and everyone worrying so much about post count... kids these days.

Quick Reply: Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?