4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

Yeah I have a Spec Stage 1 clutch. My buddy has stage 1 VT cams and he said he if he had to do it over again he would have went with the stage 2s. He has full bolt ons and 3.73s. His car used to idle a little bit rougher than stock but the tune fixed that. I will be getting either 3,73s,3,90s, or 4.10s at some point. Prolly around christmas time if my money looks right. Hell I prolly won't even get my car back til around then.

So what I hear is two different things... one... my car is going to bog in first gear and I have to slip the clutch and two... my car will be fine for a little while.

btw my compression ratio will be around 10.1:1 with ported heads and full exhaust.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackonblacksls

well damn yallmust havegoodluck cause you both aretwo of the only modulars i have ever heard of that have stock like drivability with cams... even built cobra guys notice a difference when going to cam...hell evenmod motor builders will tell you, a little more rev is required on take offand touse the appropriate gears... hell they even saybucking and such is common with cams in 5th gear at low rpm..... ask anyone who has seen my car if i slip the clutch and let it idle in 1st gear it just surges and jumps around.....ask flash 20 i do it at the parking lotsat the local meets all the time...i dont understand why people on this board are so damn hardheaded... kinda makes sense though with all the pretty done up sigs and everyone worrying so much about post count... kids these days.
Seriously WTF.

OF COURSE it jumps around if you let the clutch all the way out without hitting the gas at all... its a CAMMED CAR and it has lope....What the hell does this have to do with driveablity?? Your intentionally doing something (and speaking of "kids" these days...what a tard) to make the car jump and act stupid... but its not going to do this if you apply the least bit of throttle (aka... you are acutally trying to move forward instead of proving to everyone how cool you are/arn't).

Just to prove the point, today I tried a little experiment. I had to hit the parts store for a oil filter and battery for the DD so I took the stang out, and the wife came along for the trip. As we came up to a stoplight, without saying anything I slipped the car into 2nd gear and when the light went green took of easy. The car didn't buck, didnt jump, and didnt studder. Iblipped the throttleto around 1500 RPM and let the clutch out fairly easy (as easy as you can let out a stage 3 spec clutch).

After we moved on, I asked her if she noticed anything unsual at the last light. To quote "no, what are you talking about". Then I asked her if she noticed I started off in 2nd again "no, what are you talking about".

If I can take of in 2nd with a 3.73 gear, stage 2 cam, and stage 3 clutch, you should have ZERO issues taking off with a much lighter clutch and a barely different 3.55 (sure as hell, your 1st gear w/ 3.55 is WAY more agressive than my 2nd with 3.73).

If your having drivablity issues with your car as setup, SOMETHING IS WRONG. I drove the car n/a with cams for well over a year with zero issues, great MPG, and no idle problems (and that was on a total **** tune). Sounds like to me your having issues and your tuner is telling you that "thats normal on a cammed modular" which is NOT the case.

I wish my video camera wasn't dicked up, I could make a video to show you what a properly setup cammed 2v should drive like. Hell, you don't need a video though, just go drive a stock car and add a heavy clutch and some lope at idle... thats the only difference on my car...

Edit:nobody is "hung up" on post count around here, but you have a grand total of SEVENTY TWO posts here and your trying to tell the NUMBER NINE highest poster on the site (and its a HUGE site at that) that he is full of ****. With 11,200+ posts since 2004, and almost every one of them being in the 2v section (or street/strip) I think that I just MIGHT have been called out/banned before now if I was full of ****...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah I am with 200GT4.6... what are you talking about. No offense man I am just a little confused. My car bucks in first gear giving it no gas stock and it bogs at low rpms in 5th gear stock. I have only been driving stick for 4 years but I know that you don't let a manual car bog. I haven't bogged or stalled my car in a long time.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Plan and simple nitti, you will be fine if you cannot get the gear install done right away. Its not going to feel really fast or anything, but you will be able to drive it around/to work/to school etc.

Its too bad you can't get the gears + cams installed at the same time, you would really be in for a treat the first time you stepped into it then!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I just went down the the shop today to drop off a 2000 dollar check [:@]to the guy so he can order parts. He talked me into getting a stage 1 cam. He said that I will have a solid power band all the way threw. He also said that if I want to hook up spray eventually the motor will be fine. He said even though they are n/a cams I could still run boost on them if I wanted to. I am still in the middle on what I want though lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

with my stage 3 cam i was able to take off without using the gas and go all the way through 4th gear just idling? doesnt seem like i have any problems and i have a 3.73 gear with a very aggressive cam.
this is who i was talkin to when i said that my car bucks in first with no throttle...... funny that it takes people 1500rpm to take off in second with the same gears but this guy can do it off idle and go all the way through 4th... man there sure are some miricale workers here on this site.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackonblacksls

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

with my stage 3 cam i was able to take off without using the gas and go all the way through 4th gear just idling? doesnt seem like i have any problems and i have a 3.73 gear with a very aggressive cam.
this is who i was talkin to when i said that my car bucks in first with no throttle...... funny that it takes people 1500rpm to take off in second with the same gears but this guy can do it off idle and go all the way through 4th... man there sure are some miricale workers here on this site.
Yeah I would say that is a miracle worker but then again I have seen some weird things. My buddies old LT1 TA (stock w/ a stage 3 McLeod twin disk clutch... he's an idiot lol)would be able to idle without throttle in first and he could, without pushing in the clutch, push the stick a little bit into first gear to make his car move forward in traffic. It was wierd but my friends 2001 Audi S4 does the same thing... the ideling in first and the pushing the stick in traffic thing.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

I ran stock gears and no tune on my Crower stage 2s and it was fine. But the VT cams are dfferent. Even after my tune with the Crowers, I put VTs in and it hardly ran, I needed a retune. So some of it will vary with what cams your running...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I have a tuner so that's nota problem. I hate it but I am borrowing the money off of my parents for the motor til I get my truck sold. I figured stage 1s cause I wouldn't have to buy springs and I do plan on getting gears but if I get the stage 2s I was wondering how much time I had to get them.