4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

warranty warranty

Old 04-23-2004, 12:06 AM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default warranty warranty

does any mod effect your warranty?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default RE: warranty warranty

Not quite sure... Never owned a car with a warranty lmao

I know your cool with exhaust, and air induction, and Chip if its sold by Ford and you have Ford install....
Old 04-23-2004, 01:10 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Depends on what the mod is. If its a chip that reprograms the cmputer or underdrive pullies, then YES it will. Ford doesnt always look down on upgrades and mods, in fact if you take it to the shop some of them can be done by the factory. Call the dealer and ask. They wont void it for asking what you can and cant do. The guy at my dealership told me that if I wanted underdrive pullies then put them on and as soon as I need to take my car in for warrenty work then just have the stock ones put back on. Just all depends on your dealer really.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Jdaniel is correct. It depends on what you do to the car. I put in 3.73 gears at ford, it didn't void the warranty and they warrantied the gear for 12,000 miles/12 months. You can
go from the headers on back and from the plenum to the airfilter. Once you break the engine open(cam,head swap) your warranty is over. Id check on the chip, I believe the old
style chips will void your warranty. Im buying a flash tuner from Diablo chips(Predator) that can reset your stock perimeters before bringing your car into the shop for service, and according to them, not Ford, it won't void your warranty.
To play it safe, consult your dealership and get it in writing, I did and havn't had any problems with Ford.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Depends on what the mod is. If its a chip that reprograms the cmputer or underdrive pullies, then YES it will. Ford doesnt always look down on upgrades and mods, in fact if you take it to the shop some of them can be done by the factory. Call the dealer and ask. They wont void it for asking what you can and cant do. The guy at my dealership told me that if I wanted underdrive pullies then put them on and as soon as I need to take my car in for warrenty work then just have the stock ones put back on. Just all depends on your dealer really.

What he said. Just ask your dealership. Some are more mod friendly than others.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

I work at a FORD dealership. And i would reject anyones warranty if i see anything that doesnt come with the car from the factory. If it didnt come with the car from the factory then it voids youre warranty. FORd sees it this way, anything you put on aftermarket and it ruins another part then youre warranty is void. You put a K&N filter on and the oil from the filter gum's up youre MAF then good bye warranty. We did it to someone on an Explorer. Some kid came in with an 02 SVT focus and he had an AEM cold air kit and an aftermarket throttle body. We voided his warranty, because his intake runner broke, so FORD didnt pay for it. But on the other side of the field i warranty the sh*t out of my FORD's because i work there, so i do all the work.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:37 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

So why even post that and make more people believe external engine mods will void your warranty.

If a K&N filter ruins your MAF, that's a product failure BY K&N and OBVIOUSLY an aftermarket product that malfunctions and breaks something will obviously be voided by warranty.

But if your MAF malfunctions for something the K&N filter can't do...then it's obviously STILL under warranty.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:08 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

that cant be right because the dealership told me I could up grade the plenum, throttle body, air intake and exhaust and it wouldnt hurt my warranty. Maybe some dealers are more accepting than others, who knows. Personally I think all Ford dealerships need to be on the same sheet of paper so questions and seperate opinions like these never collide.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You are 100% correct.

It depends on who wants to do the work and who doesn't.

Apparantly Casper knows how it SHOULD be but is too lazy to do all the warranty work as he should and unfortunetly he gives people the shaft when it comes to not getting warranty work they deserve. Pretty f'ing ignorant if you ask me...He comes here and says mods will affect your warranty and then states he denies warranty claims because he has to do all the mechanical work. [&:]
Old 04-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Ignorant? I think not. Why should you warranty something that wasnt meant to be. If FORd wanted you to put aftermarket things on thier cars and trucks they would make speed parts. FORD Racing parts are made, but they do say they may void warrantys or only for offroad. AND if you understood that a dealership only has a certain amount of claims every year, would you give someone a transmission under warranty for some person that didnt beat there car, or for some kid that has racing parts and beats it??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: warranty warranty