4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question for newer Mustang owners/enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Magic
1st Gear Member

Default Question for newer Mustang owners/enthusiasts

First of all, hello. This is my first post on this board.
For maaaany years now I wanted to have a V8 Mustang. The only Mustang I've ever owned was an 87 4 cyl, so it doesn't really count (no offense to the 4 cyl. owners). Finally the time is right. I am selling our 2003 QX4 and buying a manual 1999-2004 convertible GT.
Can some of you guys let me know if there are any special features I should look for in those models, anything to watch out for, etc. Is there a model year that is superior/inferior to others? Have there been any significan improvements done within those years?
Thanks for all input.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Question for newer Mustang owners/enthusiasts

ORIGINAL: Magic

First of all, hello. This is my first post on this board.
For maaaany years now I wanted to have a V8 Mustang. The only Mustang I've ever owned was an 87 4 cyl, so it doesn't really count (no offense to the 4 cyl. owners). Finally the time is right. I am selling our 2003 QX4 and buying a manual 1999-2004 convertible GT.
Can some of you guys let me know if there are any special features I should look for in those models, anything to watch out for, etc. Is there a model year that is superior/inferior to others? Have there been any significan improvements done within those years?
Thanks for all input.
Auto or manual tranny is one question? If you're going for the manual tranny, don't go for the 99-01.
1) The pedal alignment for the 99-01's are really bad as the pedal does not need to travel all the way down to the ground to shift. You have a LOT of deadspace behind the clutch pedal and it can make it a pain to adjust the seat comfortably, within reach of everthing and still get a good shifting position.
2) 99-01, The drink holders are right behind the stick shift...the front holder is useless as going into 1st, 3rd, or reverse you hit anything taller than the ashtray.
3) 02 and up has smoked headlight bezels instead of chrome looking ones, IMHO makes the car look nicer.
4)99 and 00 had most of the recall notices and TSB being that they were the 'first' model of the 'new' production run.
That's all I can think of right now as I own a 2000 v6 not a GT. The stuff above pertains to both vehicles though.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Magic
1st Gear Member

Good stuff, thanks. It is a manual that I am after.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
01GT
I ♥ Acer

I know the 03 had a better set of heads on them so if you are looking to do mods go with an 03 or newer. The cup holders are usless unless you run nos then the front cup holder seves a purpose for the switches. I didn't really find the pedals to be bad I have an 01 and it is comfortable to me.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

If you are in the market for a new stang between those year models... then you need to find a Mach1. It has the 32V instead of the 16V a GT has. Well worth the extra two or three thousand dollars you will spend for it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Magic
1st Gear Member

I don't think they came in convertible, have they? It is highly requested by the wife...
Plus, I am not a fan of the hoods on Machs, thus the side profile.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Broken
1st Gear Member

The "Lumbar Seat" options was something I dint think much of when I bought my car but man is it nice to have that after im done working for the day. Not sure if its a standard option on the car but I would recommend getting it. The only gripe I have with my 03 is the way the seatbelts sit in the car. The just dont retract very well, always hanging up when I take them off. Other than that you will love your new purchase.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I own a 99 GT,

and sometimes, though rarely i feel uncomfortable behind the wheel, (as somebody mentioned about becomming comfortable)

then again, its not my daily driver, so im not really sure how this would affect me if it were, im sure i would notice the discomfort more..

if you really want to learn what the differences are, just go test drive one of each... as in a 99 then an 03 or 04, and if you dont notice any differences, as i didnt, then you should be able to shop the whole year range 99-04 and find the best low mileage car you can.

Good luck (im gonna go 'test drive' a 03 GT that looks just like my 99 during lunch today
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM
John Galt

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

If you are in the market for a new stang between those year models... then you need to find a Mach1. It has the 32V instead of the 16V a GT has. Well worth the extra two or three thousand dollars you will spend for it.
Is there a good site that you know of where all of the year models, options, changes etc. are listed out?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

^^^try www.themustangsource.com and at the top or bottom theres a link that says "Timeline" it gives the lowdown of every option, and whatnot on every model year since 1964

Quick Reply: Question for newer Mustang owners/enthusiasts