4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Worn out Parking Brake ? Please Advise

Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
redfire04gt

Default RE: Worn out Parking Brake ? Please Advise

i think?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

First, I looked under the car and the cables connect to a block 2-1 cable connection, no adjustment there as it uses standard parking brake cable ends to attach --|==| type connections

Second, I removed the console and found the ebrake has the auto adjusting spring mechanism. I did not find any adjustable parts there.

So the question is, do I replace the ebrake auto adjustment mechanism (handle and all) or do I replace the cables?

Thanks,

E.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Another Note :

I called the dealer who says neither the cables or handle are adjustable. Something must be worn out but he mentioned the cables don't wear out often nor does the handle. And the caliper uses the standard brake pads to stop the car, so no idea what it could be....

I'm taking it there in a few to get a diagnosis.

E.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Good luck.. let me know what you find out.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Haha, I changed my rear brakes last year... Later that night I drove out to a buddies house to sleep before we left hiking the next morning. He lives on a hill next to a river.

KnockKnockKnock: Who's their? Cops knock on the door at 6am. YES officer? Can I help you? The cop said; Is that your car? as he's pointing across the street? I was like Nooo,wait, wtf? WTF is my car doing over there? WTF??

Yeah, My car rolled out of the yard, across the street, over the curb and into a the poll. I didn't have a mark on it. If my car was at any other angle it would have had a long trip into the river!

I wont park on a hill anymore.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Hahha,
mine rolled down my drive way one night, luckily the driveway flattens out at the bottom and it stopped. It was just barely creeping.

Thats why I always put it in gear with the parking brake...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Apparently the ebrake works well enough to stop the car, not great but good enough. The brake cables are special order, there are no adjustments and the brake handle is special order. I just pulled a few clicks harder and it works ok....

I'm not willing to shell out 45 bucks for the dealer to try to figure it out, if it gets worse I'll probably break down...

However, I will be re-bleeding my brakes on the weekend to try to get any bubbles out that may remain despite 20 minutes of bleeding. I'm guessing there might be a few left as i was 1-man bleeding them.

E.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i think there was a tsb out on this some time back, i have to yank my handle all the way up to keep the car still on the steeper hills [:@]
Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

After a few days the ebrake now works fine, it needs to be pulled all the way up which takes some effort but the car stays put even on steep hills. I think the self adjuster just is wearing out a bit, but apparently getting a new one is a dealer only part and not the easiest thing to install/replace.

So in conclusion, 03 GT's have no e-brake adjustments, for future reference.

Another factor might be the new pads were not conformed to the grooves of the rotors so there might have been less contact area to stop the car, just a theory.

Thanks for the replies.

E.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

After a few days the ebrake now works fine, it needs to be pulled all the way up which takes some effort but the car stays put even on steep hills. I think the self adjuster just is wearing out a bit, but apparently getting a new one is a dealer only part and not the easiest thing to install/replace.

So in conclusion, 03 GT's have no e-brake adjustments, for future reference.

Another factor might be the new pads were not conformed to the grooves of the rotors so there might have been less contact area to stop the car, just a theory.

Thanks for the replies.

E.
Oooo, I didn't think of that. Could be... It sounds like it's Plausable