4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?

Learn to drive, it doesn't matter what kind of street tire they will spin if you can not clutch right. If you're changing tire size then I'd suggest 275's also.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsbsurfn

Traction does not have anything to due with tire width (at least on radial tires). You just need to get a softer tire like Stone629 says. I use BFG G-Force Sport, not the best traction, but a good compromise.
If that were true then, theoretically, a Viper could run really soft 195/55/15s.

You're wrong, but I'd love to know the thought process behind this.....

It's simple: bigger contact patch (amount of tire in contact with the ground) equals better traction.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: POISND U

Traction does not have anything to due with tire width (at least on radial tires). You just need to get a softer tire like Stone629 says. I use BFG G-Force Sport, not the best traction, but a good compromise.
If that were true then, theoretically, a Viper could run really soft 195/55/15s.

It's simple: bigger contact patch (amount of tire in contact with the ground) equals better traction.
The theory behind Vipers having huge tires is strictly a marketing theory. The wide tires look damn good on a viper. 15 inch 195s would look awful. But, according to your theory a set of 245 Nitto DRs will not hook as good as a set of 315 Goodyear F1s. Big racing slicks fall under an entirely diffirent set of variables. They are wide for totally different reasons. It really does come down to the compound.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

according to Wikipedia (and my Physics book):
Sliding friction is when two solid surfaces slide against each other. Putting a book flat on a desk and moving it around is an example of sliding friction. Factors affecting sliding friction include weight (normal force) and the stickiness of the two surfaces.[1] However surface area does not affect sliding friction. Sliding friction is very effective at opposing the movement of an objects and is the force that causes the object to stop moving.

Drag slicks are a different story. They work like glue, and area is a factor.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Surface area actually reduces pounds per square inch of ground pressure. That's why a 65,000lb bulldozer with a 3 foot wide track puts down less ground pressure per square inch than a 150lb man. The wide tracks are not there for traction, but to keep the dozer from sinking in wet conditions or on surfaces where ground compaction is not wanted. Hence the wide tracks name being "LGP" or low ground pressure. On the other hand a narrow tracked dozer gets ten times the traction, but will sink like a rock on softer surfaces. Car tires go by the same physics. Like wikpedia said, sliding friction, not surface area.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

The theory behind Vipers having huge tires is strictly a marketing theory. The wide tires look damn good on a viper. 15 inch 195s would look awful. But, according to your theory a set of 245 Nitto DRs will not hook as good as a set of 315 Goodyear F1s. Big racing slicks fall under an entirely diffirent set of variables. They are wide for totally different reasons. It really does come down to the compound.
I didn't compare a radial to a DR though.

I'mcomparing 2 tires of the same model and compound, one 195 and one 295. The 295 will have greater lateral grip as well.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I didn't compare a radial to a DR though.

I'mcomparing 2 tires of the same model and compound, one 195 and one 295. The 295 will have greater lateral grip as well.

Oh, in that case, yea. I mean if they are identical in everyway except for size. I agree with you on the lateral grip too. I don't know if it has to do with flex or what.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

Friction does not have anything to do with surface area, period. The only thing that matters is the weight of the car, and the coefficent of friction between the tires and the road.

I would love to give you a Physics lesson, because you have obviously never taken a class. Feel free to do a search on coefficient of friction and you will see that you are wrong.

Read this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_friction

If you understand it, then you will understand why you are wrong. If you don't understand it, then I cannot help you.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Friction does not have anything to do with surface area, period. The only thing that matters is the weight of the car, and the coefficent of friction between the tires and the road.

I would love to give you a Physics lesson, because you have obviously never taken a class. Feel free to do a search on coefficient of friction and you will see that you are wrong.

If you understand it, then you will understand why you are wrong. If you don't understand it, then I cannot help you.
Simmer down, no reason to go to war over traction.

I spent a few moments pondering various physics applications and had a few epiphanies, but then decided it was too simple to analyze or argue any further.

More rubber to the ground = more grip.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

Simmer down, no reason to go to war over traction.

I spent a few moments pondering various physics applications and had a few epiphanies, but then decided it was too simple to analyze or argue any further.

More rubber to the ground = more grip.
Like I said, read the page. You are wrong, and the page explains exactly why you are wrong.

I would prefer that false information not be given out, and this is a proven physical property of materials. It can be looked up in any basic physics book. I have given you the proof. If you don't like it, then don't dispute it without some proof of your own.

Quick Reply: Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?