4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Cassies01GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?

Seriously I dont care with what proof you have, more rubber to the ground = better traction. Ive NEVER heard anyone say otherwise. So I guess they are all wrong eh?

And sxynerd I know how to drive and slip the clutch while taking off, so chill youd probably get beat by a girl
Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Cassies01GT
2nd Gear Member

Yea all my buds on a truck website confirmed your an idiot
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

[sm=bicker.gif] [sm=chairshot.gif] [sm=icon_beat.gif] [sm=shutup.gif] [sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

why do pro racers adjust tire pressures? why do pro racers use soft compound tires?? hmmm? I wonder???
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsbsurfn

ORIGINAL: POISND U

Friction does not have anything to do with surface area, period. The only thing that matters is the weight of the car, and the coefficent of friction between the tires and the road.

I would love to give you a Physics lesson, because you have obviously never taken a class. Feel free to do a search on coefficient of friction and you will see that you are wrong.

Read this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_friction

If you understand it, then you will understand why you are wrong. If you don't understand it, then I cannot help you.
Simmer down, no reason to go to war over traction.

I spent a few moments pondering various physics applications and had a few epiphanies, but then decided it was too simple to analyze or argue any further.

More rubber to the ground = more grip.
Like I said, read the page. You are wrong, and the page explains exactly why you are wrong.

I would prefer that false information not be given out, and this is a proven physical property of materials. It can be looked up in any basic physics book. I have given you the proof. If you don't like it, then don't dispute it without some proof of your own.

Don't mistake me for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Here's your proof, from Wikipedia. Maybe next time you won't be so condecending....

Traction.....

It is important due to broad application to point out the specific case of multi-wheeled vehicles or vehicles with multiple contact patches between the tyre and the road surface. The constant coefficient of friction approximation is not adequate to describe real world maximum traction situations. If the normal force is increased, per given area of contact patch, the coefficient of friction decreases and as the normal force decreases, the coefficient of friction increases. If this were not true, then increasing tyre width, lowering tyre air pressure or increasing tyre diameter (all of which increase the area of the contact patch) would have little effect.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You guys ever wonder how a train that ways 10,000 times less than the load it's pulling can move without spinning? Because the entire weight of the train is on a Contact Patchthe size ofa dime per tire.Meaning, how wide your tire is has nothing to do with it. It's the amount of downward force you have on the contact patch, not how much you can decrease pressure to the ground, which is what you do when you increase tire width. The wider your tire, the less pounds per inch your have on your contact. Cassie, you don't know what you're talking about, that's why you're repeating what other people tell you. The reason people decrease tire pressure at the track is for tire wall flex, which does jack Shhit for street tires. And the reason for reducing pressure off-road is to prevent a blow-outs from climbing over rocks, and to keep from sinking in sand and mud by increasing area which again, reduces ground pressure. You people are stuck in a world of false physics. Do some research and stop believing everything you've been told. I apologize ahead of time if this sounds condesending or pisses anyone off. Not trying to sound upset, just my side of it
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Cassies01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by halfAhoe
traction and sliding friction are not the same thing. He is right, but he is talking about something else entirely.
Ask him why balhi can lay on a bed of spikes, but he gets impaled by one if the train comparison is true.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Maybe this will explain it better. Read carefully.

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science...dfriction.html
Old 11-29-2007, 03:51 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

If the normal force is increased, per given area of contact patch, the coefficient of friction decreases and as the normal force decreases, the coefficient of friction increases.

I really did not mean to be a jerk, and I am sorry if I sounded that way.[&o]

The answer is within your statement. The net result is still 0. A larger surface area just spreads out the normal force. If the Normal force does not change, then the Cf does not change.

Drag racing slicks work on a different principle. So this does not apply across the board.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

If the normal force is increased, per given area of contact patch, the coefficient of friction decreases and as the normal force decreases, the coefficient of friction increases.

I really did not mean to be a jerk, and I am sorry if I sounded that way.[&o]

The answer is within your statement. The net result is still 0. A larger surface area just spreads out the normal force. If the Normal force does not change, then the Cf does not change.

Drag racing slicks work on a different principle. So this does not apply across the board.

I think the fact that high HP drag cars use wide slicks is what's confusing people. There are a couple of reasons that they use them, but the main reason has to do with Tire Shear. Everytime you break traction, rubber is sheared from your tire. By spreading the contact pressure across a wider surface on the tire, it results in less wear. If you put a 15 inch slick on a 1500hp drag car, it wouldwear that tire out in just a few passes (assuming the tire didn't fly apart).Another reason is flex. Without flex, the tire would come apart. I'm talking about +1500HP drag cars here. That's why you see the center of the slick expand in the center from the immense centrifugal force. One other purpose is for stability. Not really a main reason, but it helps when you are lifting the front of yourcar off the ground.

Quick Reply: Would changing from 235/40 to 255/40s get me better traction?