4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suggest a camset for my mods and goals

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default Suggest a camset for my mods and goals

Here is what I have. '99 GT 2V vert with an automatic. I presently have:
1. 4.10's
2. UDP's
3. PYPES catted X-pipe/catback
4. SCT Xcal2 tuner
5. SHM #2730 cams which are too big. .495" lift and 230* duration in/out on 114* LSA's.
6. SVO intake port matched to the PI heads, similar to the Bullitt but may flow more than the Bullitt.
7. Reworked stcok converter with 2800rpm stall with current set-up.
I am having a 3200-3400rpm DD converter installed next week to see if I get more bottom end back with that since I already have it.
What cam specs would you suggest to give back some bottom end where I will be able to spin the tires again and regain my 2.15 60' times on streets when I now get 2.35 60' times with the cams I have. They should flow more than stock PI's to take advantage of the SVO intake, flowing 5% more air from 2k-5k and then up to 9% at 6200rpm's, my shift points. Again the stall will be 3200-3400rpm. I believe I should get a dyno tune with the set-up I have as the SVO is a bit unique also. THX!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suggest a camset for my mods and goals

Honestly it looks like you are just throwing parts at your car and hoping they make it faster. You need to sit down and think about what you want your car to do. Before you even consider cams you should finish your exhaust and get your heads P&P. Your 60' times suck so bad because you have no suspension upgrades.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

So you dont have any kind of tune on there now? Thats your problem right there. Thats not that big of a cam.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Get a tune and see where you're at from there.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

It says right in his post that he has an xcal2 tuner. I dunno if it's a canned tune and if so....There Ya go! Gotta get a custom tune and not a canned tune.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgtHonestly it looks like you are just throwing parts at your car and hoping they make it faster. You need to sit down and think about what you want your car to do. Before you even consider cams you should finish your exhaust and get your heads P&P. Your 60' times suck so bad because you have no suspension upgrades.
This will take a bit to explain. I got the car after running an AWD Talon and a ouple of other turbo cars and was unaware of what the America auto's had to offer but getting the chance to buy a convertible GT was enough and I wanted an automatic. I did the usual bolt ons as I was not going the FI route again.
I threw noting at the car parts wise. What I got was a chance to get a port matched SVO intake and a long list of parts for $1300. For that I got the intake, PI polished heads with the SHM cams. 24lb. inj's, Pro-M MAF, Shorty headers, 3.73 gearset, SVO ECM, SVO install kit for the intake. That SVO intake and install kit sold for $1900. Scott from VT engines said the intake alone was worth the cash and that the cams would work well with that intake as he used to work for SHM. So I sold what I didn't want and installed the cams and intake.
Yes, I have a tune and it's a good for an email tune. My converter is a reworked stock unit that with the present set-up has 2800rpm flash stall. Next week it is getting a Dirtydog 3200-3400rpm unit I have here.
Even with the terible 60' time the car ran it's 4th quickest time and 2nd fastest speed so it is making some power, eh?
I will get the converter in and get either a JLT CAI or do a custom CAI as I also got SVO strut tower bar that works with the intake and being a vert I want to use that also.
Then a dyno tune come spring. Those will probably get it to where I would like, mid to low 13's.
I am killing time as I am retired and looking into cams. Cams are subjective just like gears, some say 4.10's are too much and others not enough.
Check out the Hitech stage 2's and their claims. www.hitechmotorsport.com
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of canned tunes even SCT who I swear by. (i'm making 260rwhp with allmost no bolt ons) I would suggest Headers and maybe a different choice in cams if your not happy with yours.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

I am not a big fan of expensive headers for the little return and being disabled I would have to hire it out. $1000. for 10-15whp at best? Yeah I will have to find a dyno tuner near central New York for a good tune. maybe a set of hookers sometime!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I see you have a Pro-M MAF, how do you like it, where did you get it, and how much did you pay? Sorry for the amount of questions but the guys working on my car suggested new injectors and a Pro-M MAF to go along with a good dyno tune.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I would see how the car reacts with the new convertor and maybe some sticky tires. That may be all you need. If you are hell bent on getting new cams talk to Tim @ MPH about some custom cams. Trust me he can get you a can to fit your mods and goals better than any of use trying to point you to a cam.

Quick Reply: Suggest a camset for my mods and goals