4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Exhaust

I just got a 2003 Mustang GT. I haven't even picked it up yet. That will definitely be done tomorrow. What kind of exhaust do you recommend? I know it's kinda personal preference but I was curious what seems popular. I was thinking either Flowmasters or SLP Loudmouth.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:10 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket Exhaust

between those two go SLP. Much louder.... I like my flows though.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:28 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

WOW, talk about two ends of the spectrum. Flowmasters are tinny and have a terrible drone at crusing speed, SLP is hollow and raspy.

I myself like the Magnapack system. It's a little deeper then the SLP and not quite as raspy. The packs and SLP are almost the same loudness (SLP by 1 dB) It is often thought the SLP system is way louder but it is a function of tone. SLP is hollower (lacking bass) and makes it seem louder then the pack system that has more bass then the SLP.

There is a cult following on the board for Borla stingers. I have never been a fan of Borla and don't think I ever will.

My vote is 'packs. BUT you are better off to purchase a mid-pipe first. The mid-pipe will give you more gain then the cat back will and more when coupled with a cat back.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

SLP isn't hollow and raspy. listen to acer's clip. the loudmouth 2s aren't as loud as the loudmouth 1s but are hella deep. deeper than anything i've heard on a mustang (as far as catback goes). the loudmouth 1s don't just sound a little louder than packs, they make packs sound stock. i actually don't like the sound of packs, i've only heard them on 2 stangs though, but both sounded pretty bad. they aren't deep and aren't loud. they sound almost ricey. to me at least

if you want LOUD and DEEP, my vote is for LM2s. i can actually feel them when my car is idling and i'm standing behind it. it's a great feeling.

as for borlas... i wouldn't get them... too much money just for a different sound. the gains are so close in catbacks (what little you get) you're just paying for the sound really.

oh yeah. just look in the other sections or use search. there's probably 5 or 6 exhaust threads going right now.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have flowmaster 40 series. I like it. There is a woman with a real cobra R in my town and she has Borla's on heres. Her car sounds awesome. Im tempted to but some borla mufflers to make mine sound something like hers. But I know it wont being its only a 4.6SOHC, instead of her 5.4DOHC.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

that's a nice lookin mustang in your sig.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

http://nanaki.realns.com/vs.WAV

Which do you like better, the 1st or second clip?
I'll tell you which one is which later.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Hur is a clip of muh ride.

Mac LT headers, Bassani O/R X pipe, and Magnaflow weld in mufflers.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:37 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

that o/r X makes a difference with magnaflows. LOL
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Phirantes
2nd Gear Member

i really don't like the sound of magna flows or packs.... something about them seems too muffled, almost restrictive.... as for the thread decision, its hard for me to say cause i have weld in 2chamber flows and i really like them but i love the sound of loudmouths too... i'm gonna replace stock exhaust with lts and off road h-pipe before i buy a catback.... if it sounds good and loud enough with the weld ins, i'll just keep em

EDIT: the best thing you can do is find somebody with the different exhaust configs and hear them personally.... all these low quality recordings just don't do justice to the tones....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust