4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Timing Chain Cover OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default Timing Chain Cover OFF!

1 P/S Bolt = 1.5 Hours without a wratcheting wrench.

Talk about cursing up a storm, oh my god it was insane.

All that aside, I was just making this post *semi drunk* to alrert some of the 'timing guys' that I will be PMing them soon to ask about the general break down of the timing process.

I'm excitied, but also aprehensious at the same time.

Only have the manifold to midpipe connections left before the head can actually COME OFF.

So, anyone have any advice besides the already written write ups that have been posted?

I'm now open for conversation, ready to learn, and preapred to whoop some timing ***. [&:]
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing Chain Cover OFF!

The bolt your tlaking about, is it one of the power steering bolts? That always gives me troubles.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Timing the motor is actually alot easier then it seems just take your time with it and you should do fine. How fun was it getting the bolts that hold the manifolds to the heads off?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

LOL yeah that bolt sucks. Took me about 30min with a ratchiting wrench. Tokk my buddy 5min to put it back in. Dont ask me how.

Make sure you mark all of your timing marks before you disassemble the timing set and you will be good.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Only piece of adivce so far is lay off the heavy boozing until you get the timing set. Thats one part you want to be sober for so you do it right. Its a PITA to go back in and re do it. As for the exhaust manifold nuts, just get under that bitch and work them ****ers!!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Im surprised you guys had that much trouble with that last ps bolt. It seemed easy to me with just a 10mm open end wrench once I figured out how to get under there so I could see it. That bolt can be a real pain in the *** to get back in to. Its kinda like the starter bolt, you can cut it off and leave it out. Three bolts will hold the pump just fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 PM
72MachOne99GT

lol i'll be quire sure to be sober when i mess with the timing

Yes sxynerd,, the bolt im talking abou is THE bolt.. we all know, the one that hides right behind the ps pump line.. and you can BARELY get to it..

i tell you what though, if it took you half an hour WITH a wrench that wratchets, that must have sucked, i would have gotten it easier than hell with one.. its when you have to take it on, take it off, put it on, take it off.. OVER AND OVER,, my god...

To 4.698GT .... i havent taken those off yet,,, im planning on cheating, and taking the manifold to midpipe off, then pulling the head WITH the manifolds up throught the bay and taking them off once theyre on a bench somewhere

i took a good look at the 3 gears *crank, pass, and drivers*,,, i've heard about this "keyway that has to be at 12'oclock" where is it? is it on the gear by the crankshaft, or is there one on each of the timing gears up by the cams?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 PM
72MachOne99GT

LOL

MARK>>i love you man..
that post aobut

"cut it off and it'll be alrigth with 3 bolts"

do you realize i considered that many times while trying to get it off? lol

i was like...
"wtf,, this stupid bleepity bleeping thing is in here GOOD.. wtf kind of moron at ford said, "lets add a fourth, nearly unreachable bolt"'
Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

tell you what though, if it took you half an hour WITH a wrench that wratchets, that must have sucked, i would have gotten it easier than hell with one.. its when you have to take it on, take it off, put it on, take it off.. OVER AND OVER,, my god...
I hear ya man, thats those times where instead of fighting with it i run up sears and get the damn gear wrech, and even with the trip it probably gets done faster.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The key is on the crank. Look at my "how to build your own engine" thread at the top there is a pic of it in there.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Cover OFF!