4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

head gasket

Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: head gasket

Well you'd have to read up so you know what it entails. But all said and done, its really not that bad. You could definitely do it over a weekend. You should not have to machine your heads unless they're already warped or you drop them or something and mess them up.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

it looks like about 120-150 for a head gasket and the bolts, anything else i would need?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

is there a writeup anywhere on here?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:19 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

It's not needed, but if you're taking the heads off, I'd do a bunch of other things while I'm there, especially depending on mileage... Timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, oil pump, timing chain tensioners, head bolts, valves, springs... The list is goes on and on... To do head gaskets you have to take the engine down to it's shortblock. The timing cover (along with all acessories) has to come off. I'd take a loan out from the parents or something. If you're doing all of this work you might as well do it right and all at once. Just like said above it's a lot of work; not hard, but just a lot of it.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:23 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

thats great and stuff if i had money...i dont have the luxury to drop 2 grand in my car at the moment...its in with our family mechanic as we speak getting timing chain tensioners put on, i can barely afford that.... i just need to take the quickest cheapest way to fix it, im not doing heads cams chains gaskets pullies and everythign else that needs to be removed from the engine to do this, i just need the problem fixed....thanks for the help guys, but i guess im just gonna try to find a mechanic that isnt going to rape me
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

and i cant take a loan out....i am payin for my car, it wasnt a gift....i cant afford to borrow more money...if it gets too bad the car is going to end up stolen and set on fire in some field, use insurance check to pay off the loan and then just buy a ****ty civic until im outta school
Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

thats great and stuff if i had money...i dont have the luxury to drop 2 grand in my car at the moment...its in with our family mechanic as we speak getting timing chain tensioners put on, i can barely afford that.... i just need to take the quickest cheapest way to fix it, im not doing heads cams chains gaskets pullies and everythign else that needs to be removed from the engine to do this, i just need the problem fixed....thanks for the help guys, but i guess im just gonna try to find a mechanic that isnt going to rape me
Holy crap just go up there and ask if you can change the head gasket real fast. If he is changing the timing chain tentioners there are only 2 fast steps to change the gasket. 1. disconnect the manifold from the midpipe. 2. pull the head bolts. **** if I was the mechanic and you brought the gasket and bolts I would probably tack on an additional $80 to change the head gasket for you. Talk to him and see how far he is on the tentioners.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

Holy crap just go up there and ask if you can change the head gasket real fast. If he is changing the timing chain tentioners there are only 2 fast steps to change the gasket. 1. disconnect the manifold from the midpipe. 2. pull the head bolts. **** if I was the mechanic and you brought the gasket and bolts I would probably tack on an additional $80 to change the head gasket for you. Talk to him and see how far he is on the tentioners.
+1 NO ****!!! GET OVER THERE NOW-SERIOUSLY-GO NOW!!! You're paying that guy to do at least 75% of the work you'd have to do anyways. You still gotta remove the intake manifold but thats no biggie...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
97mustanggton18s
2nd Gear Member

^ true story
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

+2! If your mechanic is going to charge you $1,200 more to do head gaskets while he's doing timing chain tensioners he's screwing you blind. Some people give us technicians a crappy rep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head gasket