4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does my fuel pressure look right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Does my fuel pressure look right?

ORIGINAL: AlabamaCobra

on my 99 cobra and my girls 02 v6 you can hold down the button that resets the trip, then turn the key on while still holdin the button and it will tell you speed, tach , fuel pressure....everything all digitally.after you turn the key hold the button untill your needles all go nuts.
LOL Yup thats fuel pressure. Remember I said above that that was just for the gauges. Do you see a fuel pressure gauge in your dash?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

From the factory shop manual, Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Mode:[/align]
[/align]

FUEL
Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
[*]255 = open send +/- 0[*]232 = full stop +/- 0[*]215 = full mark +/- 10[*]178 = 3/4 mark +/- 8[*]138 = 1/2 mark +/- 7[*]93 = 1/4 mark +/- 5[*]41 = E mark +/- 4[*]54=LOW FUEL (0-59)[*]0-18=short (0-20 max) [/ul][/align]
Old 12-06-2007, 05:14 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

bro im on the same boat bro. myproblem is when i rev more than 4k my car stalls and feels like im runing out of hp. someone says its prob the fuelpump and ive notcied the last two days my gas has been runnning out relatively fast i put 20 buks today that gave me a little bit more than half a tank and i drove to school 8 miles away and my gas is at a quarter tank.i need to fix this asap
Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 AM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

ok i have a 97 with vortech and chip etc. now i must not have enough anti-freeze because my car over heated and spilled out a gallon or so and my gauges all aftermarket read like this 40 on thefuel pressure, oil 60 on start to like 33 or so then the heat up to 220 shut her down and let it cool dropped the fluid and filled it up with fresh anti freeze .michigan so the temps jump alot . then it never passed the 150 on heat great then i read this string ..ok i looked at my pressure the next day oil fine temp fine gas pressure from fluxuations 40 39 37 20 stayed there all else fine then engine light came on ..Now the whole time the car is stable at 900 on the rpms so the 20lbs on the gauge didn't make sense. I turned the car off and back on she stayed nice and idled but the gauge now went from 20 to 0...but still running lol..i unplugged the battery and reset the cpu and back to 40 all warning lites off now etc the abs light due to some brake work done ,,another story but sorry for the long story but i read your string and wonder if the cold weather plays a factor in the gauges? anyone ..? hope yours works out i checked the setting on my chip all is fine for the time ..michigan and mustangs what a mix wish i could buy another car for the winter but the economy has me bent over..happy holidays and merry christmas to all especially those serving in the military and there families.godbless and take care .
rogerwilco out...
p.s. any other michiganders here ?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Fuel pressure should be 40 psi. Since you have an 03 with 21lbs injectors it will actualy be 20lbs at 43.1 psi it will spray 21lbs but 40 is recommended. If your running 26-28psi there is something wrong

Returnless systems are very sensitive to fuel pressure, and if pressure is more than a few pounds out of specifications, it may be enough to cause a driveability or emissions problem. Fuel pressure checks on returnless systems can be done in the usual way by attaching a gauge to the service valve fitting on the fuel supply rail, or you can hook up a scan tool and read the pressure value via the pressure sensor. Using a fuel pressure gauge to cross-check the accuracy of the electronic reading is a good way to check for a fuel pressure sensor that is out of calibration.
I had to go in the way back machine for this one! I don't interact too often, because of searches, but I'm hoping some one can help me out.

I have an 03 GT, stock, with SCT tune, that has a hot start issue. (Did it before tune also) Doesn't like to start, even after priming it 3 times, until you depress the accelerator, then it starts. Figured I'd start troubleshooting the fuel side. I installed a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and started a datalogger. The fuel pressure gauge was anywhere from 23-30 psi at idle and 40 with no vacuum. The datalogger showed 39-40 psi at idle and did not rise on revs, but would fluctuate on decel. None of this information is under load, just parked.

Could this be a faulty FRPS? I wouldn't think that there would be 25% difference between the two. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tony
Old 07-24-2011, 11:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Does it do this after running it fairly hard and then letting it sit for a few minutes (like running into a jiffy store to get a 6-pack)?

If so it is normal--the fuel heat soaks and vapourizes in the rails causing a lean condition on the hot start. There is a function in the tune (Cranking AF Ratio) that can be changed to make the mix richer at high coolant temps--also running premium fuel in the summer can minimise the problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Does it do this after running it fairly hard and then letting it sit for a few minutes (like running into a jiffy store to get a 6-pack)?
I don't run the car hard; but it does sit for a few minutes.

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If so it is normal--the fuel heat soaks and vapourizes in the rails causing a lean condition on the hot start. There is a function in the tune (Cranking AF Ratio) that can be changed to make the mix richer at high coolant temps--also running premium fuel in the summer can minimise the problem.
I do understand the heat soak/vapor lock that can happen. That's the reason I started depressing the accelerator, to purge the air. I'm sure the Cranking AF Ratio would have to be established by the tuner, meaning; it's not an end user option(?). Also, the tune is a 93 octane tune, so I run 93 100% of the time.

Got any ideas on the difference in the readings between mechanical gauge and the electrical reading?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The mechanical gauge is reading the actual rail pressure that can vary from 28 to 40 psi depending on manifold vacuum--or even more if the PCM senses the fuel may be hot.

The psi provided by the PID (datalogger) will always be around 40 psi, or 53 psi or so if the fuel is hot. The PCM adjusts the actual rail pressure to maintain a 40 (or 53) psi drop across the injectors. So if the manifold vacuum is high (say 20 inHg = -10 psi) then the PCM will set the rail pressure to 30 psi to maintain a 40 psi differential across the injectors.

Another issue is that depending on the quality and full scale range of the mechanical gauge it could easily be off by ±3-5 psi at any reading; that would be an overall accuracy of ±3 to 5% of full scale for a 100 psi gauge, about par for a non-lab grade mechanical unit.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Makes sense. I knew the mechanical gauge had some room for error; but I figured it might give me a quick, on the spot, indicator if I was having a fuel related issue.

Would you say that the fuel system is operating as it should then? Also, while doing this, I shut the car off and during crank up, it did not start. Mechanical fuel gauge read 30 psi.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have never measured fuel pressure while cranking, however that sounds as though it is in the ball park of where I would expect it to be--was that during a "hot engine no start" condition?

How does it start when cold?

Also, you are correct that the Cranking AF cannot be set via a typical handheld or PC based tuning system--however there are "end user" tuning systems that do allow access to any parameter of the tune--like SCT Advantage and Delta Force's Commando...

Quick Reply: Does my fuel pressure look right?