4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buy a catback or have a shop make me one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buy a catback or have a shop make me one?

ORIGINAL: Cassies01GT

What do you mean not the bomb? They are the same as a flow, and if youve ever seen an IMCO aka cherry bomb they are built better IMO
Ok, ok. Its just that when I hear of the Cherry Bomb I think of mid 80's half rusted out pickup trucks. I had one on the Dakota I had in high school. These might be ok.

I'd go for the Magna-(whichevers) for $319 before I'd go with weld ins though. I've got a video of my cheapo exhaust on my myspace. Its a Spintech catback, which is rare, but you can find the Spintech violator mufflers fairly easily.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluepony4.6

Unless you have a turbo or other method of forced induction, I would not get 3" piping. Our cars need backpressure. I wouldn't go over 2.5" with mandrel bent piping. Unless your shop has the ability to mandrel bend the tubing, I would get one on the aftermarket. But that's just me.
Explain this to meThis should be good.

By the way 3" piping on a low hp vehicle sill cause backpressure.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Cassies01GT
2nd Gear Member

go to youtube and type in imco

Youll find a white gmc sierra and a 03 silverado with them on there.

They sound just like a 1 chamber flow but alot cheaper
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM
MACH5IVE
3rd Gear Member

Cherry bomb's sound like a$$ imo. The reason imco mufflers are so much cheaper is because the quality of the piping. If you had a close friend that works or owns a quality exhaust shop, they'll tell you they're cheap and prone to rusting! Companies like magnaflow and any other quality brand have guarantees on defects, you wont find that with cheaper "off brands".
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
arcticman37
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Unless you have a turbo or other method of forced induction, I would not get 3" piping. Our cars need backpressure. I wouldn't go over 2.5" with mandrel bent piping. Unless your shop has the ability to mandrel bend the tubing, I would get one on the aftermarket. But that's just me.

You beat me to it......3" or low back pressure would be fine esp. with a tune guys!!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arcticman37

You beat me to it......3" or low back pressure would be fine esp. with a tune guys!!
Ok...since you cats feel that backpressure is bad. When the exhaust is opened up drastically on our 2 valvers, the torque and hp curve is moved up into the powerband. If his car is basically stock, he would feel sluggish down low unless he has gears which would put him into his powerband quicker. I've seen it so many times where someone puts a big catback on their vehicle and then they come on here complaining that their car has becomesluggish. That's why I said our cars need backpressure (I guess I should have said "some" backpressure") unless they have forced induction.

3" exhaust is overkill on a stock 2 valve. I see it all the time on ricers. They put a big exhaust on their car and then have to rev the **** out of it to get off the line. We don't have torque monsters straight from thefactory.

Some people don't prefer to keep their vehicles in the 3000 - 5000 rpm range all the time.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Ok thats an ok reason. But if you are going for power then you want the least amount of backpressure in your system as possible. You want your powerband to be moved up. You have to build the car in the right steps if you want a good performer. Once you have a good flowing exhaust you need gears to get you in your power band faster. But if its a daily driver and you want that low end torque then save your money and stop modding your car.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Ok thats an ok reason. But if you are going for power then you want the least amount of backpressure in your system as possible. You want your powerband to be moved up. You have to build the car in the right steps if you want a good performer. Once you have a good flowing exhaust you need gears to get you in your power band faster. But if its a daily driver and you want that low end torque then save your money and stop modding your car.
I totally agree to all of this. It just seems that most people that come on here want instant bang for the "smallest" buck (don't we all?). Most don't have the money to go blown from the jump and go the bolt on route only to end up dissatisfied with the results. I say if your end result isforced induction, then take the routethat enhances F/I. Most of us don't have a true plan and end up wastingmoney traveling in circles until we figure it out.