4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heads, Intake.... super charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 PM
orangistang01

Default Heads, Intake.... super charger?

Hey guys, I've been reading the forums for a few months and never posted anything for fear of asking a question thats already been asked a hundred times or something.
I've got a 2001 Mustang Gt Auto with 68,000 miles-H pipe, general low pros, jlt intake, Accufab 75mm throttle body plenum installed. Got 4.10's and steeda pulleys sitting around waiting to be installed.
Now for a bunch of questions... I've been contemplating getting new heads, but I've also read that just porting and polishing the origionalheads would be fine (and cheaper) All I've really seen online for different heads are patriots? Think they are worth the money or just port the stock heads? Along with new heads, should a racing cam be purchased with it? I mean how would you know which one would work right? Are the heads going to really make all that big of a difference. In a different post a guy said that he only noticed a diff at high speeds.
Next question. Would a new intake manifold be good or should I wait if I'm thinking about a super charger with in the near future?
I've got a diablosport predator tune, but the nearest dyno would be a trip and a half away. I've played around with it here and there but my question with that is, should I richen out the fuel ratio because of the bigger intake and throttle body or does the pcm automatically account for that because of the oxygen sensor in the jlt intake?
Last one, Read in a modified mustang magazine that the msd ignition and coils are not needed for a ford engine because they provied enough spark, even with a supercharger. Any comments?
Sorry to sound like a FNG but if i need to post these as all seperate questions, someone just let me know and i'll do just that!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: Heads, Intake.... super charger?

all of those aftermarket companies are just selling ported stock pi heads... so if you can get the job done cheaper locally - go for it...
youll need a new intake... but really if youre not wanting to buy a new motor a s/c is the best way to go, and you wont need anything else.. that will put you at the limit
Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
orangistang01

Ok thanks man! I didn't know that they are just selling ported stock heads. Sweet that saves me alot of trouble!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

While the aftermarket companys are just selling worked PI heads, the ones you are seeing are not just ported, they also have different valves, valveguides, sometimes different valvesprings, etc etc. This is why they are so much more money.

Intake swaps at this point are a bit disapointing power wise, if you get into a built shortblock setup with the boost then its an option, but for now even with ported heads (but a stock shortblock) your going to see small results.

So far as the rest of the engine work, IMO its smarter to get the FI first and work from there. On a stock shortblock car a good I/C blower setup with boltons can put you at and above 400 WHP, and you don't want to exceed about 420 WHP to keep it on the safe side (stock motor). The other problem is that if you are going to go FI soon you will want a FI cam, and a FI cam will not run very well on a n/a setup...

The head porting and intake are IMO just overkill and unnessicarry on a stock shortblock setup... you can reach the numbers you want with boost/boltons (and if not those + a cam) without blowing anything up. All working the heads and replacing the intake is going to do is force you to run less boost/detune the car to keep it to safe powerlevels. Save the engine work for after the FI.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
orangistang01

FI? I feel like an idiot...but what is that? I'm guessinfuel injection- fuel improvement. but i've never heard of a cam like that. then again i'm new! I appreciate the responses tho!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

FI is "forced induction" which means any sort of unnatural asperation.. a supercharger, turbo etc.

What I was saying is that if you are definatly going to get a blower/turbo then there is little/no reason to do anything with the heads and cams until that point.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

FI is "forced induction" which means any sort of unnatural asperation.. a supercharger, turbo etc.

What I was saying is that if you are definatly going to get a blower/turbo then there is little/no reason to do anything with the heads and cams until that point.
+1 since you already have PI heads, cams, and intake manifold.

Dont worry about double posting a topic, the search button sucks and wont ever find anything.
If you've got a question just ask, there is a lot of information here, and a lot of people willing to help.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 PM
orangistang01

Thanks guys. There jsut comes the point where I'm starting to wonder about if it's worth it or not to pour money into a super charger for a small block ford. Almost might as well used the same amount of money on a whole different car! But ya we'll see in the near future.