4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lt header install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
raginglunatic77

Default RE: lt header install

ORIGINAL: Nitti00GT

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

and shorties are the exact same to install for less than half the power gain.
At the end of the day they still gotta be better then the stockers.

I wouldn't mind putting headers on mine, but I want to be able to talk to wife or kids when I drive and not shout. plus get a head ache from the damn noise.

I have had several old cars with LT's and I got sick of it after awhile. They just got down right annoying and to me arn't worth the extra power because of that alone.

I would go with shorties and call it a day, you got a little better sound and better then stock manifolds.

Lynn
thats horrible! This is madness!
lol jk. i ca see where your comin from with the kiddos. must of us younguns need full exhaust to shut the girl up in the passenger seat, not to actualy listen to them![8D]
Hahaha yeah. One positive is that it drones out the complaining. Anyone ever get this from a girl, "OMG you are driving too fast. Why is your car so loud? Why does the tires screach when you shift?"

Another positive is that there are girls who actually like the sound of the car with the LTs.
Lol. Thats one of the funniest things i've heard in a long time.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't mind putting headers on mine, but I want to be able to talk to wife or kids when I drive and not shout. plus get a head ache from the damn noise.

I have had several old cars with LT's and I got sick of it after awhile. They just got down right annoying and to me arn't worth the extra power because of that alone.

I would go with shorties and call it a day, you got a little better sound and better then stock manifolds.

Lynn
are they better than stock manifolds? yes. its proven everyone knows it. how much better are they? a few HP. they are not worth $300+ plus an entire day of installation when longtubes can be bought for nearly the same price and add over twice as much hp as shorty headers, and are no more difficult to install than the shorties. there are much better mods for that money and time than shorty headers is all im sayin.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Are they better than stock manifolds? yes. its proven everyone knows it. . there are much better mods for that money and time than shorty headers is all im sayin.
I hear you... But I know with my '71 mustang 429 BB with long tubes on her I was about ready rip the damn things out after a few months, the sound could be defining.
My '73 Mercury Montego with LT's was about half as loud, again annoying as hell after a while. I swore never again.
Shorties too me would be a compromise, I still get a little better sound and some mild HP gains.

Not hearing the wife bitch about it being too loud.....
To me priceless.
Lynn
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
leadsailspaperanchor
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nitti00GT

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

and shorties are the exact same to install for less than half the power gain.

Lynn
thats horrible! This is madness!
lol jk. i ca see where your comin from with the kiddos. must of us younguns need full exhaust to shut the girl up in the passenger seat, not to actualy listen to them![8D]
Hahaha yeah. One positive is that it drones out the complaining. Anyone ever get this from a girl, "OMG you are driving too fast. Why is your car so loud? Why does the tires screach when you shift?"

Another positive is that there are girls who actually like the sound of the car with the LTs.
WOOOOOO Badass girlfriend FTW! She loves the sound of the V8[8D]
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

I am going to order a tubeular k-member conversion kit and install my LT headers at the same time since the easiest way to install the headers is by dropping the K member. This way to if i ever need to replace header gaskets it will be easier to replace them
Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

how difficult is it to drop the k member i would rather do the work myself but i have never worked on my car. should i just wait until i get lowering springs and do it all at once.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 AM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

call around and get quotes the prices i got ranged from 250-600 imo it was worth spending $300 for someone else to install them.loldont waste your time with shorties.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

what are the hp numbers that i would be looking at by installing lt headers
Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

and shorties are the exact same to install for less than half the power gain. your still gonna have to do the same amount of work for either, and why waste hundreds on shorty headers that add 5 hp plus a day of work.
shorties require half the amount of effort and time to install as apposed to long tubes.

I have long tubes and personally I would never do it again. i later had to get a clutch and flywheel and have to drop the k member again to loosen a header to get in there... what a pita.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM
GTMustang6921
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blkthndr03

would it be better to buy shortie headers
screw shorty's waste of cash. Couple of my buddies actually installed bbk LTs in his 02' gt i bleieve without yanking the motor up or droping the k. but dropping k i would say is the way to go

Quick Reply: lt header install