4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why Can't Mustangs Auto X?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 03:40 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why Can't Mustangs Auto X?

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

"break the tires loose"? Can I really lose one?[&o]
You're not wasting your time, you just might win, who knows. By break the tires loose he means spin them on the turn, not disconnect from the axel. If you accelerate too hard out of a turn (or any time) you'll break traction with the ground and your tires will spin without providing acceleration...also possibly causing a fishtail.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I got a hold of some great websites which gives me some ideas of what to expect as a newbie. If anybody wants them, I'll post them up.

Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I am confused about the tire pressure though and marking them with chalk to see if they "roll" Why would I put more pressure in them that is recommended by the manufacturer?

I was reading some info and SCCA recommends 40 psi for all around rear wheel drive cars. I have passenger car tires so I have to go check to see what my tires say.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I got a hold of some great websites which gives me some ideas of what to expect as a newbie. If anybody wants them, I'll post them up.

Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I am confused about the tire pressure though and marking them with chalk to see if they "roll" Why would I put more pressure in them that is recommended by the manufacturer?

I was reading some info and SCCA recommends 40 psi for all around rear wheel drive cars. I have passenger car tires so I have to go check to see what my tires say.
If you increase your tire pressure, it keeps the sidewall from rolling as much. This helps your overall cornering. I use chalk when I race, because it lets you know how much roll you're getting. Typically, you want to run a little more presure in front than in back. It will help your car to be more 'nimble' going into turns. On the street, I run around 37 psi on 295/35/18's in back and 265/35/18's in front. When I race, depending on the outside temperature, I will run as much as 52 psi in front and 48 psi in the rear. It really helps a lot, but there is a tradeoff. You loose some traction coming out of apex's more easily. Basicly, it helps to minimize your car's biggest weakness, corner entry. Experiment with it.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:16 AM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

You need a torsen in that car birdie.

Leadfoot if you think you are going to win first time out you definatly have alot to learn. Im not bashing but auto xing takes alot of practicing. The only way to be good is to practice. It is also dependant on how mature the racers in your specific class are. Dont go oout there thinking your gonna beat a MR2 in time. Your not and the time he runs is irrelivant to you. Your racing other people in your class.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yeah auto x seams like it would be a lot of fun, i want to do road raceing or somthing of that nature, but their is not much like that around here. also with more tire pressure in the rear it will make the tires spin easyer, and it will corner better because they will side a lil, and also for tire roll, you dont want the tires runnin on the sidwall, it may cause a blow out over time, where the tread ends on the sidewall of your tire you want it about a 1/4 of an inch from the end of the tread for max grip to.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:34 AM
MorningCruiser

I imagine mustangs would be better drift cars than autocross cars due to the fact that it's not exactly designed to take hairpins back and forth all day.

Mid rear cars will ALWAYS have an advantage over a front-rear car, they have far better weight transfer and can launch out of corners quicker and harder. This is why modded Fieros/MR2s dominate where they compete.

Road racing is extremely hard to get into, it costs a lot of money...

If you want to find out about making your car turn better, try using different sway bars, or removing the one in the rear alltogether.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You need a torsen in that car birdie.
Torsen??
Old 03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I've heard about some corner carver forums and I think that corral has a a good section for Auto X. It's gonna cost a bit of money to get your suspension up the spec but fortunately, there are a number of great options out there for our cars.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
drumaz
1st Gear Member

I've autocrossed my Mustang for 2 years now. It's a friggin BLAST. I do it to learn about my car, how it reacts and how to handle it. It's also a chance to push your car in a safe environment. If you spin out, it's no biggee.... If your going too fast into a corner and push through it, the worst you'll do is run over a cone or 2. You can learn alot from the other racers too because there will be people there(in your class or not) who will be a WAY faster than you. If your running street tires, be prepared to chew them up. Everyone who has posted has made very valid points. Don't expect "fastest time of the Day" and the more seat the better. What state are you in?? Go to www.cartct.com .. this is the club I race with. They have an autocross handbook posted there that is great to read. Get yourself to an event in your area and just start talking to people and run your car. They will help you out. Chances are, there will be a mustang at the event. hook up with them
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

If you spin out, it's no biggee.... If your going too fast into a corner and push through it, the worst you'll do is run over a cone or 2.
You gotta spin out once in a while to know the limits of your car. If you autoX and never spin out, you're not pushing your car hard enough.

Quick Reply: Why Can't Mustangs Auto X?