4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control arms or pan hard bar, whats recomended?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default Control arms or pan hard bar, whats recomended?

I want my car to be able to launch solid but also handle well on the corners.

Will just new control arms upper and lower work?

will just a MM Pan hard bar do it and leave the stock controll arms?

Or both?

I'm not going to be on the tracks much, but I do want a stable plate form better then stock for the street.

Lynn

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Control arms or pan hard bar, whats recomended?

Get a panhard bar and delete one of your upper control arms for a poor mans 3 link setup. Your car will handle much better than it does now with the ****ty 4 link. When you get the money get a torque arm and LCA and delete the other UCA and you'll have a decent handling stang. It'll also locate the axle much more during your squats when you launch.

Never get stiffer or aftermarket UCA's (even tho theres gonna be those that are gonna come in and debate it) Geomettrically speaking the stock UCA's are in a bad position to control both axle windup and horizontal movement of the rear. However you do not notice a really big negative effect of the UCA's because of the rubber bushings that are in there allow alot of play before they bind (reach the point where there is no more give in the bushing) With an aftermarket UCA they tend to use stiffer bushings which if you can imagine increase bind in the rear, and when your rear axle reaches that point, often in hard cornering, and can occur in a regular corner if you hit a bump just right, you'll have snap oversteer. This is when your going along and your rearend moves out from underneath you.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

So if I got a Panhard bar and new LCA's, keeping the stock UCA's, that will be OK?
Lynn
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

So if I got a Panhard bar and new LCA's, keeping the stock UCA's, that will be OK?
Lynn
If you get the panhard bar and a new set of LCA's you can safely remove 1 UCA and have a better handling setup than the stock setup. However this setup is only a temporary setup and the only reason why you remove 1 UCA is because you have 2 different motions in your axle, if you add a phb your introducing a 3rd, this as you can imagine will make every part fight so it can complete its full range of motion. It is only a temporary setup, I would advise you to get a torque arm and finish it up and you'll have a completely different animal.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks very much for that info!!
That was very helpfull and informative.

Lynn
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

A torque arm/pan hard bar setup is more for road racing and not for drag racing. There have been many reports of torque arms snapping after repeated hard launches. If you're not into road racing and more into straight line racing i'd stick with a good set of upper and lower control arms and call it a day
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

+1 to wat ben said. if your not gonna be on a road course leave the torque arm out.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

they make different kinds of torque arms though too... depending on how much power your car has.. i plan on the torque arm for mine.... they have a heavy duty one that holds like 900 torque.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

What is the power rating of the torque arm they are running? the regular ones are rated at 300 rwhp/rwtq... How will they not snap on a hard launch in cars with 500+? it's like saying how the 31 spline axles are bad cause in the outlaw series they've snapped a few. If your running more power get the heavy duty torque arm, its reinforced, and rated at a higher wheel tq/hp (can't remember how much) Running a panhard bar without a torque arm will cause your car to react differently depending on which uca you remove, left and right turns will feel different.

The OP asked how to make his car handle better in corners and on the strip. And the best way to do that, if you ask anyone that has studied the geometry of our rear end, will be to get rid of the uca's as they are placed in such an extreme angle that it cannot do its job at all. Ford put it in there like that because its cheap to do.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

What is the power rating of the torque arm they are running? the regular ones are rated at 300 rwhp/rwtq... How will they not snap on a hard launch in cars with 500+? it's like saying how the 31 spline axles are bad cause in the outlaw series they've snapped a few. If your running more power get the heavy duty torque arm, its reinforced, and rated at a higher wheel tq/hp (can't remember how much) Running a panhard bar without a torque arm will cause your car to react differently depending on which uca you remove, left and right turns will feel different.

The OP asked how to make his car handle better in corners and on the strip. And the best way to do that, if you ask anyone that has studied the geometry of our rear end, will be to get rid of the uca's as they are placed in such an extreme angle that it cannot do its job at all. Ford put it in there like that because its cheap to do.
Yup!

Just figure out what your HP is but I would think that the majority of your driving will be on the street so you need to take that into consideration also. Are you going to be road racing more or drag racing? It's really hard to properly setup a car for both. You need to decide which will get more of the attention and bite the bullet on the other discipline.

John