4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brakes making HORRIBLE grindin

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:08 AM
mylounge

Default Brakes making HORRIBLE grindin

I'm just a week into having a 2002 GT. I washed the car for the first time on Sunday, and may be coincidental, seems like since then what sounds like a loud grinding of brake pads has started on both front and rear on drivers side. Mostly disappears when brake is applied. I'm hoping the dealer didn't mask a brake problem with something that I washed away, revealing the problem. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you could give.

All the best,
Gary<edited><editID>mylounge</editID><editDate>37882.0068287037</editDate></edited>
Old 09-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Black Horse
3rd Gear Member

And how do the brakes look? Are they worn?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:45 AM
67aquafastback
2nd Gear Member

Take it back to the dealer you bought the car fom have them check it out and correct the problem.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:26 AM
mylounge

I do have an appointment for 8:30 tomorrow morning. The car has 10,000 miles and is one year old, so there is still 2 years or 26k left on factory warranty.

I can't really tell if the pads are worn too much. The discs look good. Seems odd that within a few days, both front AND rear starting doing this...when it didn't as I drove it off their lot. I'll know what THEY say it is tomorrow. I still appreciate your input. Could it have anything to do with tire dressing that I sprayed on?If there was overspray on the discs, could it collect enough dirt to cause damage to the pads/rotors?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Does it stop after the brakes are used abit?</P>

</P>
Old 09-18-2003, 12:49 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

No way a car wash is gonna mess up your brakes. It is possible that if after you washed the car you let it sit for a few days and you got some surface rust on the rotors, but after a few times stopping it should clear right up.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:15 PM
mylounge

It does not stop after application of the brakes. Initially, it would stop only when I applied the brakes, but now it does even with the peddle pushed. I just came back from dropping the car off. I'll post what they say.

Thanks so much,
Gary
Old 09-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If you had been driving your car and hit it with some nice cold water, there's potential that you warped the living hell out of the rotors, which you won't really see unless ya pull'em off.</P>
Old 09-20-2003, 12:29 PM
mylounge

The dealer informed me that the front left axle is bent, which is causing the grinding. I haven't talked to the tech yet for more details, only the service advisor. They're replacing it and will have the car until Wed. No word on the brake noise I heard from the rear. Are the axles fragile enough that a good romp over a bumpy spot in the interstate could bend them? Short of that, I can't explain it. I have only had the car for 9 days. I haven't driven the car very hard.

Gary
Old 09-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

i think the reason they're taking it in to replace it so willfullyexplains how it got there.

Quick Reply: Brakes making HORRIBLE grindin