4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CEL + Failing home made MIL

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default CEL + Failing home made MIL

Hey,

Followed Cliffyk's write up on making MIL eliminators, they've worked great all summer. It's below freezing here now, and I think it's about time one of my MIL eliminators has failed. I was driving home a couple of nights ago, engine hadn't reached warm temp yet (needle was just getting above the line after the C) and the CEL came on, great.

I stop at AutoZone on the way home, get the code scanned, I don't remember exactly what the number was butI got a code for:

Bank 1 Sensor 2 (didn't get to read the screen, the guy just told me that), and he said it was emissions related... Alright, I figured, no big deal. Clear the code, on with life, maybe it was a fluke.

Today, I'm driving home from school, light comes on again. I stop at AutoZone again, and get a code for:

Bank 1 Sensor 2, stuck too rich. Note, this is NOT the code for Bank 1 too rich... so I'm fairly sure that side is not running out of a proper A/F ratio, nothing should be causing that anyway.

I'm thinking my MIL eliminator has failed... just looking for verification before I climb under the car and replace it. The code takes a while to appear, 20-30 miles or so, and three warm-ups before it shows up. I also have a slight exhaust leak on the driver's side -- I need to replace the exhaust manifold studs I think... but I haven't had a problem with this all summer,only till now that it's gottencolder and the sensor has potentially gotten wet.Input from anyone?