4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

This ever happen to anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: This ever happen to anybody?

check the oil pan bolt, make sure you tightened it for safety as well.

Its not hard to destroy your engine
Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
98mustangt

Well i took the old oil filter seal off? I've been wrenching for about 16 years now. So i checked that trust me, and yes it is very common to double seal it. Its the weridest thing i have great oil pressure but when i add to the proper level it just pours out of the oil filter housing area. I checked to make sure the filter is tight. I can't really see were it is actually leaking from until i get it on a lift, but when i do i will find out for sure. I use lucas with my oil. I was just wondering if there was some kind of relief valve inside the housing? Just thinkin maybe there is to much pressure or somthing causing a relief valve to open and dump it on the ground, but i don't know i'm going to investigate it further.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I G Joe

ORIGINAL: stealthyone

yea, tell me about it... did an oil change last week, and it started leaking today... friggin brand new Mobile one on the ground... any idea how many times over the years I have cautioned other people about checking that damn O'Ring? and the ONE friggin time I dont check it..... Oh well, caught it before any damage, and even got to do another bonus oil change.... in 35 degree weather... Laying in gravel.. While it was raining... I love my car, really I do...
try doing it in freezing rain with broken glass razors and ****** wire with fire ants then you'll know you love your car
I had that problem too! Except there were vicious manatees with rabies flopping around my car! That was the tip of the iceberg for me!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:00 PM
98mustangt

Now that i got some light on the subject. I found the culprit!!! I changed the filiter and put a new one on there. Brought the oil level to the proper level. and It started pissing again!!!!! Lost about a quart of oil and then it stopped just like before. So i investigated further and found a pin hole at the bottom of the filter houseing twards the block of the engine. Looks like a rock or somthing hit it. So now i'm going to get out the old JB Weld and see if that will fix it otherwise i'm going to have to break down and get a new oil filter housing.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

hmm.... JB weld might hold... I'd keep an eye on it though if this is what your going to do...
Old 12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98mustangt

Now that i got some light on the subject. I found the culprit!!! I changed the filiter and put a new one on there. Brought the oil level to the proper level. and It started pissing again!!!!! Lost about a quart of oil and then it stopped just like before. So i investigated further and found a pin hole at the bottom of the filter houseing twards the block of the engine. Looks like a rock or somthing hit it. So now i'm going to get out the old JB Weld and see if that will fix it otherwise i'm going to have to break down and get a new oil filter housing.
i actually had the exact same problem with mine earlier this year. That little pin hole (if it's the same one i saw on mine) is supposed to be there. I had an oil leak similar to what you're describing, i thought it was coming from the filter area, changed i know 2-3 filters, but it kept on doing it. But it wasn't doing it all the time. Saw the pin hole, figured that was it, but looked under my step moms 04 gt and she had the same small hole on hers too....so if figured it's supposed to be there(i never noticed the hole before b/c i never had a reason to look)...i mean the oil looked like it was coming from there. Bottom line, it ended up being the oil cooler line above the oil filter housing, i couldn't see it until i put it on a lift. It was running down on top of the housing and dripping off the edges. Tightened the line up and presto!!! it was fixed. Check that first before you go and throw some jb weld on that pin hole. sorry for the long explanation/post
Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 PM
98mustangt

I'm smelling what your farting, but checked all around the housing above and below. I started it up and put my finger over the pin hole and it had quite a bit of pressure coming from it. So i just JB welded it and it has stopped pissing everywhere. Now its just a very slow drip. I guess i'm going to either get rid of the car or get a new oil filter housing from somewhere. Or maybe go and trade it into to a dealer and finally get over on a dealer for another car.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Just get a new oil cooler from ford.......... better safe than sorry
I'm smelling what your farting, but checked all around the housing above and below. I started it up and put my finger over the pin hole and it had quite a bit of pressure coming from it. So i just JB welded it and it has stopped pissing everywhere. Now its just a very slow drip. I guess i'm going to either get rid of the car or get a new oil filter housing from somewhere. Or maybe go and trade it into to a dealer and finally get over on a dealer for another car.
Its just a busted oil cooler not worth getting rid of the whole car lol.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
98mustangt

Yeah just a busted oil cooler today, tomorrow it will something else. Its starting to nickel and dime me to death. LOL not to mention i just went out and started it up and now the tach quit working just my luck.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
98mustangt

And just for FYI you can't go to the local parts store and get an oil cooler/filter housing. They don't care em and can't order them. So if i decide to keep it now i have to go on the hunt at local junk yards or find a blown up engine, which is a pain in the ****.

Quick Reply: This ever happen to anybody?