4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake, Throttlebody issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
twistedbran
1st Gear Member

Default Intake, Throttlebody issue

I bought just the standard CAI for my 99gt from american muscle, I also purchased a mac 75mm throttlebody, with rpm plenium and plenium spacer, now the issue i have is my intake now will not fit on the throttlebody correctly, and if it does its because the pipe from boot connection to boot connection is stretched so incredibly thin any torquing from the engine creates gaps where its coming loose which seems to be causing gas milage issues *assuming its because all the air isnt going by the MAF now and my injectors arnt compensating for it, and idleing issues:/

Will getting a boot like the one that connects to the MAF larger on one end and smaller on the other fix my issue? if so where will i get one.... those suckers are hard to find.
I talked to a guy and he said lowes has some kind of pluming adaptor that might fit and take care of it, but i really.... dont want to have such a eye sore if it actually looks like i'm thinking it will.

Or is there another way... Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Intake, Throttlebody issue

I think I'm a little confused on your question... In the first part of your post, you are saying that it wont fit on your throttle body. On the second part of your post you are saying that you want to get a MAF adapter?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
twistedbran
1st Gear Member

No, see the on the intake where you connect it to the throttle body the pipe is smaller in diamater than the Throttlebody cause its 75mm, the boot however is the same diamater all the way threw, i was saying if i get a boot like the one that connects to the MAF *due to the fact that its larger in diamater on one side and smaller on the other* if that will work for the throttle connection. And if so where can i get ahold of one, i'll take pictures when i get back from school.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

I got ya now...

When I got my JLT intake it came with the right adapter.. It should have been big enough to fit a 75mm TB. Have you tried calling AM?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM
twistedbran
1st Gear Member

Yea, i just called them, advanced auto, and autozone... nobody has anything to help me.... All AM said was call local part stores... wow big help
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Post up the link to the EXACT CAI that you bought from AM
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
twistedbran
1st Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-co...e-96-04gt.html

Its just the cheap one.. and i feel like i should have spent the money to get the other intake :/
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

BBK is not really all that cheap, let me give you a little advice though that I learned the hard way. Before you go and buy anything, either come here and post a question about it, or go somewhere else and ask them. Some people will just give you opinions, others will give you experience. I would call AM back and ask if you could send it back if it doesn't fit. Just tell them it doesn't fit. Mustang Forum members also have a 6% discount with AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
twistedbran
1st Gear Member

eh, i see what was wrong i'm just a bad mechanic :/ sorry, thanks for your help guys
I got to looking at the pictures, and noticed i didnt ahve that much pipe past the MAF to the filter... so i readjusted everything .... This is the first car I've ever worked on...Meh, i make mistakes

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Glad to see that you got it fixed.
We all make mistakes, I do it all the time.

Quick Reply: Intake, Throttlebody issue