4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1/4 Quarter Mile Est. Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default 1/4 Quarter Mile Est. Time

I have a 98 GT like I stated below, but I was wondering I'm putting my car away for the winter and I am considering doing a PI head swap, But I just would like to know if anyone could give me an estimate on my quarter mile time, My mods include Engine: TB 75 MM, Upper Plenum, Under Pulleys, CAI, MSD wiring (does nothing), Exhaust: Full Exhaust, Equal Length Shorties, X pipe (catless), Cat Back (40 Series Mufflers), Suspension: Strut Bar, Subframe, Tubular K Member, CC Plates Transmission: Stage 3 Clutch, Short Shifter, Aftermarket Superchip, 4.10 Gear. I know this is a noob question, but I just haven't had time to get my car out too the track and I just don't want to look like an idiot when I'm out there. Thanks for your input I just need an estimate, and then just I'm figuring in maybe a .4 to .5 difference with the head,cam, intakeswap kit??
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1/4 Quarter Mile Est. Time

I pulled a second off of my ET with a PI head swap and port and polish. My mods are listed below. I also was running street tires with a blown POSI, temperature was 91 degrees at the track with 68% humidity. With slicks and your mods with a PI swap + port and polish could get your down to the mid 12's if you can drive. My first run with the PI swap i ran a 14.031 at 68mph. The rule is at the track is if you run faster than 14.000 you must wear a helmet and i knew it felt faster than 14 flat. If you can, i would highly suggest a port and polish, it made a world of a difference powerband wise. I was making power up to 6K with stock cams...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

No way mid 12's on a pi swap. More like mid 13's with the swap!
I went past all your mods, because if you don't have FI than your gonna run high 14's even with all those mods you have listed. Don't care if you run 423345:1 gears. The non-pi 2v's are just slow. Sorry, but I had one and I know. It felt fast for me until I did a cobra swap, now I wouldn't go back if I was forced to!
I have stock 96 cobra engine with all the mods in my sig including custom sct tune. I'm willing to bet I would have a hard time breaking into the 12's and I guestimate 300rwhp.

Ohh, get rid of that plug in superchips. It's doing nothing but running your engine super lean on the higher revs.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

I pulled a second off of my ET with a PI head swap and port and polish. My mods are listed below. I also was running street tires with a blown POSI, temperature was 91 degrees at the track with 68% humidity. With slicks and your mods with a PI swap + port and polish could get your down to the mid 12's if you can drive. My first run with the PI swap i ran a 14.031 at 68mph. The rule is at the track is if you run faster than 14.000 you must wear a helmet and i knew it felt faster than 14 flat. If you can, i would highly suggest a port and polish, it made a world of a difference powerband wise. I was making power up to 6K with stock cams...
typo? lol...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I went past all your mods, because if you don't have FI than your gonna run high 14's even with all those mods you have listed. Don't care if you run 423345:1 gears. The non-pi 2v's are just slow. Sorry, but I had one and I know. It felt fast for me until I did a cobra swap, now I wouldn't go back if I was forced to!
I have stock 96 cobra engine with all the mods in my sig including custom sct tune. I'm willing to bet I would have a hard time breaking into the 12's and I guestimate 300rwhp.

Ohh, get rid of that plug in superchips. It's doing nothing but running your engine super lean on the higher revs.
Hate to say it, but i have an air to fuel gauge and I have nevernoticed it going off track on high revs.But thanks for advice. Yeah I figuredIwould be running in the high13's and or low 14's withwhat I have becauseI tend toroll with 05gt's and newer model gt's I keep up I just wasn't sure. But thanks for the estimate, probably the reason I hang with most of my friends because they can't drive. Sorry guys.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vertmustang98gt

Hate to say it, but i have an air to fuel gauge and I have nevernoticed it going off track on high revs.But thanks for advice. Yeah I figuredIwould be running in the high13's and or low 14's withwhat I have becauseI tend toroll with 05gt's and newer model gt's I keep up I just wasn't sure. But thanks for the estimate, probably the reason I hang with most of my friends because they can't drive. Sorry guys.
If you haven't done the PI swap yet, you should definatly be getting EATEN alive by the SN-197 and new edge stangs. You must be running into bad drivers, even a full boltons NPI car is going to have a hard time scratching out better than mid 14s (14.50s?) with say a nitto D/R and a decent 60' time.

The boltons just don't do much on a NPI car. going from 190ish WHP to 210 whp just doesn't do anything, and it still drops like a rock around 4500 RPM.

With the PI swap your looking at low 13s if you can drive well, with the possiblity of a 12.9x if you really drive great + get a good 60' time in say the 1.7 range.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:22 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: vertmustang98gt

If you haven't done the PI swap yet, you should definatly be getting EATEN alive by the SN-197 and new edge stangs. You must be running into bad drivers, even a full boltons NPI car is going to have a hard time scratching out better than mid 14s (14.50s?) with say a nitto D/R and a decent 60' time.

The boltons just don't do much on a NPI car. going from 190ish WHP to 210 whp just doesn't do anything, and it still drops like a rock around 4500 RPM.

With the PI swap your looking at low 13s if you can drive well, with the possiblity of a 12.9x if you really drive great + get a good 60' time in say the 1.7 range.
[/quote

I know that bolt ons don't give great horsepower increases, but I respectfully say. I highly doubt that full exhaust and air increase to the car give increase of 20 hp. I've talked to mustang shop around here in Columbus and estimates have came anywhere from 230 - 260. Every engine is different isn't the same I understand that. I just think that estimate is a lil low. But they may be me because it is my car...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Your confusing WHP with flywheel horsepower. The car is rated at 225 flywheel horsepower. It puts down around 190-195 horsepower to the tire in stock form.

There is absolutly no chance your making 230-260 WHP in a boltons only NPI car. hell, a PI car only makes around 260-265 WHP on an accurate dynojet with these mods.

Check out "project red headed stepchild" in the backissues of MM&FF (you can probably get them on their website). They did a build up of a NPI car using NPI only parts. The results were dismal to say the least until they did something with the stock NPI heads and cams. They went from around 190 WHP stock to 205-210 (like 208) with full boltons.

The NPI heads/cam/intake simply don't flow well enough to take advantage of the extra flow of the boltons, and with the wimpy NPI cams your powerband just drops off the face of the planet at 4500 RPM.

Espcially with a vert, you would be LUCKY to see 14.50s out of the car as it sits, espcially if you have little/no suspension work and say a 1.9-1.8 60 is the best you can muster.

It sucks, but its just the way it is. get that PI swap done, and its not just the peak horsepower increase your going to like... its the car pulling to 5500+ RPM and making more power under the curve everywhere. NPI ftl!

Edit: If you ran into say a new edge auto vert, that was bone stock, I can see you probably keeping up, or taking it if you drive better than him. However, a new edge coupe/stick should be beating up on you pretty good, and any 05+ GT should be walking off like your in reverse. Nothing to be ashamed of though.. it just means your a better driver!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I feel what you are saying. I understand completely what you are saying about flywheel hp andactual hp getting put down on the groud. I actually should stop asking questions and get thething on a dyno. But, I actually get the new Mustang and Fast Fords every month I remember reading about that. I just think like engines can be different. I don't know it might be an old moddy lol.. But like does a spring edition 98 make a difference?? I highly doubt it but idk. Yeah I appreciate all you are saying just like it seems odd I've raced many of many on the street (which is different) and kept up with almost anything that is my league or a lil out of my league. Like an example was that I have subframe connectors and a tubular k member and I beat a 05 gt off the linethe day I put my car away for the winter. And I was running my stock 245 45 17 tires. I have a set of 295's i run with my FR500 which create a big difference in traction. But their is a fine line between good drivers and bad drivers. I guess I have picked the right ones lol..
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 AM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

my best time with 189rwhp was 14.52@96mph when i was NPI. On tires i got from the junk yard for 10 bucks each. Maple grove race track is about 120 feet or so above see level and their track times are very reliable. And NO their was no type my first run with my PI swap was a 14 flat at 68mph. I stood on the brakes about 100 feet before the traps.

If i did: stage 2 crower cams, ported the hell out of an aluminum intake (P51, buillit, trickflow), TB, Plenum, larger injectors, MSD tower pack coils (damn waste spark ignitions), six puck clutch, 3:73 gears, eaton locker, M/T drag radials....you dont think i could bring my ET down to the mid 12's....? I'd like to prove you wrong...but money is an issue!

Quick Reply: 1/4 Quarter Mile Est. Time