4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Unsolved mystery...odd hesitation...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Unsolved mystery...odd hesitation...

yeah you got it. its on the right hand side of the throttle body
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

lol go buy one..see what it looks like n find the same thing on the throttle body if ur having trouble
Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

let me know if the TPS helps, my car is experiencing similar stumbling/hesitation during acceleration...
Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

could also be a bad MAF
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I took off and cleaned the MAF (again), TPS, and EGR with MAF cleaner & put a new gasket on the EGR as it seemed pretty bad. Seemed a bit peppier after taking her out. I'll have a better idea tomorrow after it sits overnight. Usually she's crappy in the morning.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

ive checkec the values on my tps and their a ok...thats y im gonna change the gaskets
Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

^^^^ Agreed its cheap...and if it dont workk...not like u lost a lot of money...wont hurt to try it
Nothing like throwing parts at a car hoping it will fix it. Find out whats wrong with it first before you start buying parts.

The syptoms don't match a vacum leak, it could possibly be the TPS but you should test the voltage first. I still think its a bad clutch.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

^^^^ Agreed its cheap...and if it dont workk...not like u lost a lot of money...wont hurt to try it
Nothing like throwing parts at a car hoping it will fix it. Find out whats wrong with it first before you start buying parts.

The syptoms don't match a vacum leak, it could possibly be the TPS but you should test the voltage first. I still think its a bad clutch.

yes but he has no idea what it is....you have to understand we know what that stuff looks like and know how to test it and all that....if he doesnt know what it looks like do you think he will be able to hook up a volt meter and test it...no offense to the kid...

but u have to look at it from a point of view of someone who really doesnt know cars as well as we do
Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

yes but he has no idea what it is....you have to understand we know what that stuff looks like and know how to test it and all that....if he doesnt know what it looks like do you think he will be able to hook up a volt meter and test it...no offense to the kid...

but u have to look at it from a point of view of someone who really doesnt know cars as well as we do
Yeah I'm sort of a newb when it comes to the electrical aspect of cars[&o]

I think I'm going to go buy a decent multimeter and see if I can figure out how to check the voltage. I don't want to just throw parts at a car, because that's no different than just throwing money away!

Oxford what makes you think the clutch?

What gets me is the problem arised out of nowhere after me cleaning the MAF, TB, Plenum, IAC, & air filter. When I got them back on the car and started it up, she started with this sporadic issue. As I said before it first only happened after the car sat overnight and was started in the morning, It would go away for the most part after it warmed up. Then it started being MUCH slower than it used to be. Now it started not going away after it warms up and is like a moody chick. It will be REALLY fast some days, and really slow the next. Somedays I'm pinned to my seat under heavy acceleration, other days It won't even move me.

The best explanation of the problem is after I start the car and pull out of my driveway, I'll hit the gas and it will hesitate. Almost as if it didn't realize I hit the gas for a second then it will go but feel like it's not getting all the power it's supposed to.

One time I was pulling out of my neighborhood and gunned it onto the main road. The whole car bogged and acted like it wanted to stall. It bogged real hard, then surged, then bogged, then took off fast.

Edit: I wonder if I might have over-oiled my K&N? I did what it said. It said to spray every area until the white cotton becomes red. I made sure not to coat it on, but to evenly spray it. Possibly that's It. I've got no clue.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

im telling you now its DEFINATLY NOT the clutch...a clutch cant be bad one day and perfect the next....what does it rebuild it self...NO.....if a clutch is bad...its bad all the time..it cant be good one day bad the next...no way...oxford i dont care how much u try and argue...never ever a clutch can go good then bad.then to good agian...so clutch isnt his problem

you have changed your fuel filter right? (just checked dont remember if u did)

but like i said before see if you could get ur injectors checked, beacuse if you clean your maf and nothing.

1. - get reading of TPS
2. - get reading of MAF
get these checked b4 you do anything else

if those are ok. and your ignition system is ok.. fuel somewhere is the problem and or a mechianical problem but i dont htink so

my buddy had the SAME problem with his 5.0 a 95 GT,,5 speed,, his car would hesitate and be dead slow at times..other times be fine....what he did is he clean the maf and got his injectors re balanced and put a better fuel pump in it....no problem since totally diff cars just throwing it out there

Quick Reply: Unsolved mystery...odd hesitation...