4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CA Smog/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
tritonofg
1st Gear Member

Default CA Smog/exhaust

Hey Guys...I bought a 97 Cobra a while back and just recently had to smog it in CA[:@]...needless to say the X pipe had high flow cats which did not stop enough NOx from escaping to the sniffer. I have two questions.
1. from the headers back are exhaust the same for GT's and Cobra's? My assumption is that they are....

2. Does the following setup have a chance of passing CA smog: spintech exhaust set-up for a 98 GT. The X-Pipe has the cats still attached, mufflers ?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM
01redstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CA Smog/exhaust

It all depends on how old the cats are. I used to have a BBK X-PIPE With Cats on my car. It was 2 Years old and it barely passed the smogg test here in CA.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:04 PM
tritonofg
1st Gear Member

Mine did not pass...NOx levels were above 1200...tech said the max was 700 something...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
97mustanggton18s
2nd Gear Member

man im glad they got rid of that crap here in FL
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tritonofg

Hey Guys...I bought a 97 Cobra a while back and just recently had to smog it in CA[:@]...needless to say the X pipe had high flow cats which did not stop enough NOx from escaping to the sniffer. I have two questions.
1. from the headers back are exhaust the same for GT's and Cobra's? My assumption is that they are....

2. Does the following setup have a chance of passing CA smog: spintech exhaust set-up for a 98 GT. The X-Pipe has the cats still attached, mufflers ?

Thanks
Last time I check your normal 3 way catalytic converts don't reduce your NOx count that much. Are you still running an EGR??? Is it working properly? Stock tune and a/f?? Cooling mods at all?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:59 PM
tritonofg
1st Gear Member

I'll check the EGR valve sometime next week (when I can find the time). I do know that the previous owner had changed the tune but he also stated that he had returned it to stock. No cooling mods, oem t-stat installed.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
tritonofg
1st Gear Member

I am now looking for a stock computer for a 97 Cobra. Mine had been "tunned" (I like it, but can't pass smog with it)...the CATS do a good job of stopping HCO and CO, but the tune give me high levels of NO (2x the amt allowed).

Anyone know where I can get the ECU (don't want to get assraped by a dealership)...