4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

question about starter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: question about starter removal

ORIGINAL: BatMobile00

whoaaa don't leave the bolt out. do it right. drink a beer or two if you get frustrated, but once you do it once, it will be a breeze the next time. try to use 1/4" tools, they are smaller and easier to fit around. But, like stated, use a U-joint or two with extensions and you will get it. Try to hold a finger on the bolt while you find it with the socket. THEN connect the ratchet. Good luck.

+1 on being a "technician" lol
Do you have any reasoning on this? Have you seen a starter fall off, or come loose, from only having two? I don't know of a person that has put the top bolt back in, and I've never heard of any consequences.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: True Blue Racing

13mm i just took it off tonight. Im tropping my tranny as we speak. as stated above, it is easy to take the top bolt out once you get the right set up. whether it be with extentions or thru the wheel well.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have to take the wheel well guards off to get to it, or not?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

damn, it's that bad? i'm gonna replace mine for the hell of it
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

whoaaa don't leave the bolt out. do it right. drink a beer or two if you get frustrated, but once you do it once, it will be a breeze the next time. try to use 1/4" tools, they are smaller and easier to fit around. But, like stated, use a U-joint or two with extensions and you will get it. Try to hold a finger on the bolt while you find it with the socket. THEN connect the ratchet. Good luck.

Do you have any reasoning on this? Have you seen a starter fall off, or come loose, from only having two? I don't know of a person that has put the top bolt back in, and I've never heard of any consequences.
+1 The 5.0s only have to bolts holding on the starter. it should be ok with 2 as long as they are tight
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
BatMobile00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: True Blue Racing

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

+1 The 5.0s only have to bolts holding on the starter. it should be ok with 2 as long as they are tight
the more the merrier in this case. Less is not more. Not putting the bolt back in is just laziness. It takes 2 secs, why take the chance?

Also, I'm sure Ford didn't spend more money for another bolt for no reason.