4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ant 4.6 SOHC owners have 300+ hp with bolt ons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:29 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ant 4.6 SOHC owners have 300+ hp with bolt ons?

ORIGINAL: loosenut

i beleive im producing 300+ hp( i was hoping to be anyways,lol) Mods are as follows: its a White 2002 Mustang GT Premium Pkg, 5-speed, ive done the Bullitt intake Swap, running a Twin 57mm TB,BBK Cobra CAI,PRO-M 85mm MAF,BBK L/T Headers,BBK Off-Road X-pipe,Steeda MIL Eliminators,Flowmaster 40 series,Centerforce stage 2 clutch,Steeda Dual quadrent clutch adjuster,Steeda Firewall Clutch cable adjuster,Steeda Timing Adjuster,Steeda TRI-Ax STS,3.73's(in the garage just not in the car yet,lmao)Nitrous Express wet Kit jetted at 75hp(till i can find the rest of my jets,then going to the 100hp shot,lol)

this 300 hp i was hoping to be making does not include the 75 or 100 shot of juice,lmao. this is with my mere bolt ons(i do realize that my drive train mods does not increase my hp,lmao, im not THAT dumb. so yall think im way off or should i be there?
Dude, you're not making 300rwhp w/those mods w/out spray. You may be in the 240's far as rwhp is concerned. Where's your dyno chart?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

Also, technically, isn't a blower a bolt-on?
No. It doesn't go on quite so easy as say a cat-back, or m.a.m., or t/b. it fit's in the P/A category. If you can say a blower is a bolt-on, they that is like saying everything else is like spray, heads, cams, turbos etc. Bolt-ons are typically bolt & go. If it takes a few days, plus a tune...u didn't just "bolt" it on.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Well it's all relative. A blower can be put on in a few hours, and does not require a tune, although you will see the most power from a tune. Bolt-ons generally don't add much power and like I said with only 281 cubes you have to work harder to make more power. I say if you can get a 4.6 to make over 300 rwhp without a power adder then that's pretty damn good. Short of FI or internal engine work there's really nothing more you can do.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:37 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

Well it's all relative. A blower can be put on in a few hours, and does not require a tune, although you will see the most power from a tune. Bolt-ons generally don't add much power and like I said with only 281 cubes you have to work harder to make more power. I say if you can get a 4.6 to make over 300 rwhp without a power adder then that's pretty damn good. Short of FI or internal engine work there's really nothing more you can do.

I consur with everything bit one thing. If you run a blower without a tune of some type then you will blow the engine within a week. You would be really lean by adding a blower and no fuel and you cant depend on JUST fuel injectors to deliver the right amount. .
Old 03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
sllt1776
1st Gear Member

is a chip burn for the prom considered a bolt-on. You don't use any bolts for that.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

To correctly define bolt-on, its something that can be installed without requiring a tune afterwards for the most part. Such as UD pulleys, exhaust, drag radials, springs, and so on.

Stuff like Superchargers, NOS, Turbos, Cams, Stroker kits and any other type of internal work in the engine or tranny isnt a "bolt-on".
Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: loosenut

i beleive im producing 300+ hp( i was hoping to be anyways,lol) Mods are as follows: its a White 2002 Mustang GT Premium Pkg, 5-speed, ive done the Bullitt intake Swap, running a Twin 57mm TB,BBK Cobra CAI,PRO-M 85mm MAF,BBK L/T Headers,BBK Off-Road X-pipe,Steeda MIL Eliminators,Flowmaster 40 series,Centerforce stage 2 clutch,Steeda Dual quadrent clutch adjuster,Steeda Firewall Clutch cable adjuster,Steeda Timing Adjuster,Steeda TRI-Ax STS,3.73's(in the garage just not in the car yet,lmao)Nitrous Express wet Kit jetted at 75hp(till i can find the rest of my jets,then going to the 100hp shot,lol)

this 300 hp i was hoping to be making does not include the 75 or 100 shot of juice,lmao. this is with my mere bolt ons(i do realize that my drive train mods does not increase my hp,lmao, im not THAT dumb. so yall think im way off or should i be there?
You are definatly not making 300 RWHP before the juice. Flywheel you should be making, but not at the wheels.

As to heads/cams being bolt ons, if they are considered a bolt on then everything is a bolt on. In the end, everything is held in place by some sort of bolt. General consensus on this board and others generally says bolt ons include:

Exaust
Intake tract (I would consider the plenum to be the stopping point, not the lower intake)
Pullys

Basically, anything that doesnt require you to remove something else to get it on. AKA, pulling off the valve covers or oil pan. For referenece, usually people say something in their sigs like: Full boltons, cams, intake etc.

But its you arguing with the guy, so if you both consider cams/heads to be boltons, then by all means you can easily make 300 RWHP.

A full bolton GT w/ Ported heads and stage 2 camshafts, plus something like a P-51 Intake should easily approach 325 RHWP. (with a killer tune).

lmao, no no no i was talking Bhp not Rwhp, im hoping to be making AT LEAST 300 at the crank, if not thats just sad ive got alot of crap tied up into this thing if im not there i will be dissappointed. as for the dyno sheets, i made an appointment to go up there but the guy is leaving this wed. for a week so the soonest i could get in was next friday, i will post up the results for sure,lol.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'd say you are in a 265-275RWHP range, no where near 300 to the wheels though. Swap in a LS1.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:23 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Jdaneil has great numbers for a bolt on car. he's a set of stage II cams away from cracking 300.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

thanks everyone. But i guess no one has one. lol.

On another subject. See the pic of that engine i put up? Well, its a 5.1 stroker SHM engine. lol. Turns out the guy who put it together "professionally" ****ed up, pulled the pan finally. Had to remove the K-member. Than pulled the pan and the links for the timing chain and timing tensioner were in the bottom of the pan along with stuck in the pickup.... No wonder why i couldnt get any oil pressure. lol.

Quick Reply: Ant 4.6 SOHC owners have 300+ hp with bolt ons?