4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery Issues (Story...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery Issues (Story...)

So my car got worse and worse at starting, until it eventually wouldn't start under the power of the STOCK battery anymore.

So I tested the alt before replacing the battery to be sure, and it made a solid 14.4V at idle, which I believe is sufficient? And like 14.1V if I turned everything on, and the stereo real loud (big stereo).

So I went and got a new Optima red top, put it in, and everything was beautiful for about a month. Then the car sat for about 2 days, and wouldn't start at all. So at this point I started thinking there was some kind of drain on the battery when parked.

So today I went to test for the drain, I put an ammeter in series, it said .25A for about 5 seconds, then settled at .15A, then I started pulling fuses till I found the drain, pulling the 40A guage cluster/PCM fuse took the draw down to 0. (Which I figure is ok, that's about what the PCM should use right??)

So to compare I put the ammeter on my 1998 Bonneville SSEi, it drew .17A... so at this point I'm confused...

I took the Optima back, and exchanged it for a new one, I'm hoping it was just a bad battery?

So, here I am hoping it works now, but any other insight into what might be happening? Or if I'm on the right track.

Thanks for any input!

PS: 4.10s are basically the craziest thing ever, SO MUCH TORQUE.
[/align]
Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Battery Issues (Story...)

ORIGINAL: aCiD

So my car got worse and worse at starting, until it eventually wouldn't start under the power of the STOCK battery anymore.

So I tested the alt before replacing the battery to be sure, and it made a solid 14.4V at idle, which I believe is sufficient? And like 14.1V if I turned everything on, and the stereo real loud (big stereo).

So I went and got a new Optima red top, put it in, and everything was beautiful for about a month. Then the car sat for about 2 days, and wouldn't start at all. So at this point I started thinking there was some kind of drain on the battery when parked.

So today I went to test for the drain, I put an ammeter in series, it said .25A for about 5 seconds, then settled at .15A, then I started pulling fuses till I found the drain, pulling the 40A guage cluster/PCM fuse took the draw down to 0. (Which I figure is ok, that's about what the PCM should use right??)

So to compare I put the ammeter on my 1998 Bonneville SSEi, it drew .17A... so at this point I'm confused...

I took the Optima back, and exchanged it for a new one, I'm hoping it was just a bad battery?

So, here I am hoping it works now, but any other insight into what might be happening? Or if I'm on the right track.

Thanks for any input!

PS: 4.10s are basically the craziest thing ever, SO MUCH TORQUE.
[/align]
How is the battery testing? I mean out of the car, does it test good? Probably a starter issue. Have the starter bench tested, it's probably dragging meaning it's drawing more power than it should. A good ford starter requires a lot of juice to turn over. A bad or draggingone will require even more.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

+1 on starter. thats most likely the problem
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

But when the battery is new (he tested the battery before I took it out of the store today at 1031CCA) it starts instantly with vigour.

So it's using so much power to start it, the alt can't put an equal or greater amount of juice back in, even after driving around for say 15 mins?
[/align]
Old 12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

maybe the ALT is on its way out...

Techsent
Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Redtop Optima batteries are WAY overrated. I have had to replace mine 2x already in about a 1.5 years. I have it in my fastback and if I let the car sit for a week or two then it is dead. If I leave it that way for 3 or 4 weeks then it will not take a charge and will test bad = warrantied battery.

This is the last one I buy. NAPA has some nice batteries.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Your ALT can have dead spots in charging. At certain RPM's or Temps. I think you should look into the Alt. and Starter some more. Plus it can be a ground. (check them all body, chass, and dirrect bat)