4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

injector install and fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: injector install and fuel filter

ORIGINAL: kingofqueenz

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

the scissor tool for the fuel filter is not bad, just takes some getting used to, and you will want new orings for the fuel filters, its cheap insurance, I have seen numerous times, ripped o rings, then leak. Also put a dab of oil on the new orings before install, that way you dont rip them
u mean new o-rings for the fuel injectors or did u mean i should get an o-ring for the fuel filter?
orings for the fuel injectors
Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

o rings for injectors
Old 12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks guys, i went to pep boys today and they only had the scissor type tool for the fuel lines so i just bought that. I bought a purolator fuel filter, its the only ones they had. As for o-rings, i had to buy 8 boxes of o-rings and they come with 2 rings in them each. It doesnt have that little cap for the bottom of the injector, just the rings. Is replacing that cap important? or just changing the 2 rings on each injector?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

i think you'll be ok with just the o-rings and the scissor tool is just fine, i use it all the time when i do fuel stuff
Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lewistk

yes but its better if u get new ones... if youre sure the old o rings are ok tho its fine.

u need the fuel line tool for both getting to the rails and getting to the fuel filter
Why would you waste time and effort disconnecting the feed line to the fuel rails just to swap injectors. There is plenty of slack in that line to move the rail around. Hell you can even flop the rails up onto the windshield with them still connected to the line.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

yeah your right, i just always do it. it takes no time at all to disconnect the fuel lines to the rails. its your call tho
Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Just take the 4 8mm bolts out of the fuel rails and pull the rails. The injectors will come out with it. The new ones should have orings already. The fuel filter tool you want to get is the pack of a bunch of disc looking things that are black, red, white, blue and light blue. Don't get the sissor looking thing its garbage.
+1, dunno the name of them but the colored rings are FTW!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

does it matter mixing pink top injectors with orange top? one of my pink top injectors was still flowing good and i changed my other 7 with orange top that i bought used from a guy on this forum. He told me his injectors had 20k miles on them and flowed good but i didnt have a chance to check, i guess ill see what kind of gas mileage ill get. His injectors looked kinda crapy from the outside, they must have been sitting for a while cuz they were kinda rusty. I hope this doesn't cause a problem?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:39 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

does it matter mixing pink top injectors with orange top? one of my pink top injectors was still flowing good and i changed my other 7 with orange top that i bought used from a guy on this forum. He told me his injectors had 20k miles on them and flowed good but i didnt have a chance to check, i guess ill see what kind of gas mileage ill get. His injectors looked kinda crapy from the outside, they must have been sitting for a while cuz they were kinda rusty. I hope this doesn't cause a problem?
You need to stop what your doing. 1. you can not mix injector sizes. 2. you can not just put different size injectors in without tuning the computer for them. Your car is going to run lean and blow up if you put smaller injectors in. The way the computer works is it tries to stay at 14.7:1 A/F ratio it does that by reading how much air is coming in thru the MAF(along with a few other sensors which I'm not going to get into) and decides what pulse width the injectors should spray. The pulse width for the 2 injectors will stay the same but the orange top injectors will spray less fuel then the pink wich will lean out the engine and BOOM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:19 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

You need to stop what your doing. 1. you can not mix injector sizes. 2. you can not just put different size injectors in without tuning the computer for them. Your car is going to run lean and blow up if you put smaller injectors in. The way the computer works is it tries to stay at 14.7:1 A/F ratio it does that by reading how much air is coming in thru the MAF(along with a few other sensors which I'm not going to get into) and decides what pulse width the injectors should spray. The pulse width for the 2 injectors will stay the same but the orange top injectors will spray less fuel then the pink wich will lean out the engine and BOOM.
i was told that the orange top are #19lb just like my stock pink ones were #19lb? i drove the car today and it was running fine? would i get a check engine light?

Quick Reply: injector install and fuel filter