4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

changing the oil in a auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

Default changing the oil in a auto trans

what type of oil should i use for a auto trans 02 gt with 110k and how much. is this something i can do myself. i think im pretty good with mechanics not the best but im familiar with alot of things. where do i fill the new oil
Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: changing the oil in a auto trans

Any ATF (Auto tranny fluid) that is compatible with mercon v will work, however I would really only recommend royal purple, amsoil, or motocraft oil.

changing the tranny fluid is not hard at all, it's just messy. If you have no experience I would recommend taking it to a shop and watching them do it first. Main reason is because you drop the tranny pan and when you do that its pretty hard to balance and drain out on your back heh. Needless to say, face full of tranny fluid is no fun, plus if its warm it could be slightly painful heh.

Just try and get a good filter, and while you have the pan off you may as well do the JMOD or install an already jmodded valvebody.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html
http://www.vapauto.com/products.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

what is the jmod or the valve body what does that do. is it important to change it out.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html
i was reading some stuff do u have to do all that just to change that part
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

A Jmod basically allows our tranny's (I have an 03 auto gt) to last longer as it allows the tranny to shift faster. Our transmissions shift depending on hydraulic pressure, what the jmod does is drill out some of the accumulators to allow the pressure to build faster and the tranny to have a more crisper shift. Stock form, our tranny's clutch overlap like crazy, causing alot of extra heat, extra wear on the internal clutches and a very sloppy feeling tranny. The reason why they did this was to make the car shift smoother or atleast seem like it. The JMOD is like a shift kit but 10x better and more effective on our trannies. If you read through some of those articles they explain alot about our trannies, and most of it is from Jerry himself. BTW Jerry is the Ford engineer that designed and built the transmissions that are in our cars. So the Jmod is what he recommends to be done to increase performance on our cars.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 PM
rossn
1st Gear Member

I already purchased a transgo shift kit. It has a lot of springs and a few valves to replace. It also has you drill some holes. Do you think I'll have better results with the J-MOD instead of the transgo shift kit?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rossn

I already purchased a transgo shift kit. It has a lot of springs and a few valves to replace. It also has you drill some holes. Do you think I'll have better results with the J-MOD instead of the transgo shift kit?
Jmod is better than any other shift kit you can get for your 4r70w hands down. There are no if ands or buts about it. Shift kits actually tend to generate more heat that they are forcing the tranny to shift harder/faster without actually changing the stock characteristics of the tranny. The jmod basically removes the 1-2 2-3 accumulator springs and drill some holes in the seperator plate.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

is this mod hard to do like drilling and stuff i got all the tools im just curious cuz im gonna be changin my oil and filter soon why not do this too. on my diablo i set the shift point and shift firmness. u think that is ok or should i change it if i went with this setup
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

yes it'll be ok, but since you increased your shift pressure as well, I'd suggest throwing on a tranny cooler while your into the engine and everything. As for the ease of the mod, take a look at the link I gave ya, its a step by step walkthrough, after I got the valve body off I chickened out and had my friend do it.. was scared to drill into it.. he did it in 10 mins, and we were in the gt testing it out within 20-30 mins top.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

man thats fast huh how hard are those tranny coolers to install any idead where is a good place to get one so with that jmod and tranny cooler and a fresh oil change and filter i would really notice a difference smoother wise u think
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

man thats fast huh how hard are those tranny coolers to install any idead where is a good place to get one so with that jmod and tranny cooler and a fresh oil change and filter i would really notice a difference smoother wise u think
For sure, your gonna notice a big dif just with the jmod. The tranny cooler wont net you any feel tho, but it will prolong the life of your tranny. Summitracing has some tranny coolers you can buy.

Quick Reply: changing the oil in a auto trans