4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Functional hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default Functional hood scoop

Has anyone tried to make the hood scoop functional on there 02-4 mustangs?? Will this increase performance because i have a CAI and I know that sucks in hot air?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Functional hood scoop

ORIGINAL: wwmost

Has anyone tried to make the hood scoop functional on there 02-4 mustangs?? Will this increase performance because i have a CAI and I know that sucks in hot air?
http://reviews.stangnet.com/showprod...cat/all/page/1
So long as the CAI is taking the air from the fenderwell and not the engine compartment, you'll be fine with the CAI. The link above is for a 'functional' ram-air kit for the GTs with the hood scoop from Banshee. It will also work for cars without the hood scoop but you have to go out and purchase one yourself. The only bad thing is it requires you to cut the hood.

Unless you plan on doing some serious interal mods to your engine or driving at high speeds all the time, not worth it.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

This is the third post in the past week with the same question. But your new so I'll let it go. It's not worth it.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well first off, if you're sucking hot air in your intake then it isnt a tue "cold air intake". Is your filter still in the engine compartment or is it in the fenderwell?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:38 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

To answer the question posted. Yes, some people have tried, you could do it if you had the welding skills and access to metal. You can drill out the honey combs in the scoop so air will flow. If you remove the hood scoop, you will notice there is a perfectly shaped notch to cut a retangular hole in your hood. Then, if you weld a metal path in the underside of the hood over to the airbox. You'd have to modify the air box so that when your hood closes it forms a seal on the airbox between your welded on air path and the airbox. Some rubber weather stripping does this nicely. Then you need some holes in the bottom of the airbox for water to drain and you're set. I've seen this set up on some trucks that have factory hood scoops. Yes it works, you suck air from the scoop. No it doesn't gain you anything.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

i did it and it was not hard at all...as far as performance probably a cooler engine when you open the hood but no nitrous effect. I say its just something else to talk about your car and makes it different.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
trbuddy
2nd Gear Member

I jut looked at a functional hood scoop or a shaker made by cdc. Here is the link to their website http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/561.html I also talked to one of their dealers and he told me it is not that difficult to install it as long as you have at least some mechanical skills. Let me know how it went!!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:00 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I dunno, I guess it was just me, but I thought he asked how to make the hood scoop functional, not how to install a different, smaller hood scoop as an aftermarket part.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:40 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

i hate the fact that my hoodscoop is fake but i don't think the gains are worth cutting a hole in your hood.

I drive mine in the rain and snow.....I don't want all kinds of **** in there.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I've been driving with a hole cut in my honeycomb and my hood for almost a year with no problems and nothing getting it there

Quick Reply: Functional hood scoop