4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I seriously need to know about intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I seriously need to know about intake manifolds

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

Ok, I know people seem to ask a lot of questions about what is better for this or that. But I am just looking for options to do research on. I want to know what intake manifolds are available for a 2v motor. As some may have seen from previous posts I have a VT 302 stroker, EVERYTHING in this motor is built/strengthened/replaced... but for some strange reason is only running a stock PI intake manifold. That is my only bottleneck for what I want out of the car. I need an aluminum intake that flows better than stock PI, cut and dry.

I know of the P-51, Hardball'r and Typhoon.
Are those seriously the ONLY options I have? I just want to get a list of ALL of my options here. Thanks guys for any assistance.
Trickflow has one that is similar in design to the 98 SVO and Bullitt manifolds. I don't know if it is any good, but it is another one to take a look at.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsbsurfn

Ok, I know people seem to ask a lot of questions about what is better for this or that. But I am just looking for options to do research on. I want to know what intake manifolds are available for a 2v motor. As some may have seen from previous posts I have a VT 302 stroker, EVERYTHING in this motor is built/strengthened/replaced... but for some strange reason is only running a stock PI intake manifold. That is my only bottleneck for what I want out of the car. I need an aluminum intake that flows better than stock PI, cut and dry.

Are those seriously the ONLY options I have? I just want to get a list of ALL of my options here. Thanks guys for any assistance.
Trickflow has one that is similar in design to the 98 SVO and Bullitt manifolds. I don't know if it is any good, but it is another one to take a look at.
not saying the conversation hasn't been fun, or that I haven't learned a thing or 2, but this is the only reply that answered my question at all... LOL..

Anyone else know of any others? although the majority seem to be saying stick to the PI until i plan to go FI, i would still like to know what is out there. Thanks again guys for the info and help!
Old 12-22-2007, 12:36 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ZW99GT has the same stuff as me but has a stroker (I don't), stage 2 cams (I have custom) and he has a ported typhoon intake (I have stock PI) and I make more power than him. So do I think the PI intake is a bottle neck? No. If I did, I would have replaced it. I'll be running a 150 as well. Most dyno graphs you see on aftermarket 2v intakes loose power all through out the power band, then pick it up later on. Why pay that much money to loose anything? BTW ask JayC to post up the pic of what happens with a N2O backfire and an aluminum intake, it's not pretty.

Yessir, and I have BBK shorties. Your power(over me) comes from a badass set of cams and LT's. I'd be willing to agree with you and say your intake manifold isn't holding you back one bit.
I'll agree on the cams 100%, that's why I recommend that everyone go with custom cams. I'm not sure if there is much diff between longtubes and shorties, probably some but I'd say that if you have up pullies (which I have the stockers), it probably makes up for the diff in the headers. What I've always wondered and maybe you can help me on this, is there much of a gain between a .020" motor and a stroker?

I couldn't tell you. My short block is .030 over, and I have a 3.75in crank. And my car doesn't make that great of power. So the changing of the cubic inch (in either dimension) doesn't give great gains.

And Injected97GT, sorry for us going off topic. lol. If you want my opinion, I say get a "your choice of intake here" and get it port matched to your heads. If you are doing it mostly for the rebiliaty factor, just get which ever one you want. There is no "magical" intake that's going to do leaps and bounds more than the others(yet). If you just want my opinion of only what I've used, the Typhoon is no better than the PI.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:48 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsbsurfn

not saying the conversation hasn't been fun, or that I haven't learned a thing or 2, but this is the only reply that answered my question at all... LOL..

Anyone else know of any others? although the majority seem to be saying stick to the PI until i plan to go FI, i would still like to know what is out there. Thanks again guys for the info and help!
BBK is supposedly coming out with an SSI or DSI? manifold sometime in the near future, looks somewhat promising.

Performance wise, the plastic is a damn good manifold for our heads, even stage IIIs. This is what I am doing, larger shots can still blow aluminum manifolds, JayC has a pic floating around somewhere of an aluminum manifold blown up. If that blows up, so is your plastic, BUT the plastics are MUCH cheaper, which I will buy a spare plastic one for the case mine blows up and just replace the plastic one b/c its cheaper than buying another aluminum one.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a plan... stick to plastic 40 dolar manifolds for now, if going FI get something better flowing and port match it. makes perfect sense from what i have read so far. thanks for all the replies guys, and dont worry about going off topic. i dont give a damn, was just busting your ***** a bit [8D]
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

another intake choice

http://www.reichardracing.com/46liter_intake.php
Old 12-22-2007, 03:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ZW99GT has the same stuff as me but has a stroker (I don't), stage 2 cams (I have custom) and he has a ported typhoon intake (I have stock PI) and I make more power than him. So do I think the PI intake is a bottle neck? No. If I did, I would have replaced it. I'll be running a 150 as well. Most dyno graphs you see on aftermarket 2v intakes loose power all through out the power band, then pick it up later on. Why pay that much money to loose anything? BTW ask JayC to post up the pic of what happens with a N2O backfire and an aluminum intake, it's not pretty.

Yessir, and I have BBK shorties. Your power(over me) comes from a badass set of cams and LT's. I'd be willing to agree with you and say your intake manifold isn't holding you back one bit.
I'll agree on the cams 100%, that's whyI recommend that everyone go with custom cams. I'm not sure if there is much diff between longtubes and shorties, probably some but I'd say that if you have up pullies (which I have the stockers), it probably makes up for the diff in the headers. What I've always wondered and maybe you can help me on this, is there much of a gain between a .020" motor and a stroker?

I couldn't tell you. My short block is .030 over, and I have a 3.75in crank. And my car doesn't make that great of power. So the changing of the cubic inch (in either dimension) doesn't give great gains.

And Injected97GT, sorry for us going off topic. lol. If you want my opinion, I say get a "your choice of intake here" and get it port matched to your heads. If you are doing it mostly for the rebiliaty factor, just get which ever one you want. There is no "magical" intake that's going to do leaps and bounds more than the others(yet). If you just want my opinion of only what I've used, the Typhoon is no better than the PI.
The .030 overbore isn't really ment to acutally increase CI (or power). You would be lucky to see a few CI with a overbore.

The reason the 4.6L doesn't benifit from strokers that much is threefold.

The first is the lack of good flowing aftermarket heads for the 2v. Without a better flowing head, the extra CI doesn't get taken full advantage of. The second is the bore/stroke ratio. The ratio is already supposedly bias on the stroke side. Increasing stroke doesn't help this area any obviously. The third is that in reality it just doesn't add that much CI. going from a 281 to a 302 is only 21 CI.. .not that great a gain.

The big bore kits are where its supposed to be at. The big bore kit not only increases the CI, it also unshrouds the valves, which helps out the weak link (head flow) in the 2v. In a big bore kit they go WAY over .030... they acutally make the cylinder walls so thin they have to sleeve the block. The sleeves are either forged or machined steel, and much stronger than cast, so they can be much thinner and still support big power levels.

I agree on the intake manifold... the gains on anything but the most wild setups are minimal with any aftermarket intake manifold on the market. Most don't make power until at least 6500+ RPM, and most loose power underneath this point (not the best idea on a 2v that doesn't make big TQ anyway).

MM&FF has done several intake tests and I have yet to be impressed by any of them. The last one they did was on a 10-12 PSI vorteched stang with aftermarket cams and all the boltons. I think they gained something like 13 WHP, and they stated this was the most gain they has seen on a car without ported heads.

I have been saying it for a long time, the stock 2v PI manifold is a good peice. People complain that its plastic, but IMO thats an advantage, as it does not heat soak. If you have a nitrous backfire, more than likely the aluminum pieces are not going to take it any better than the plastic onees, and in any case PI intakes are fairly cheap, so if it does happen its still cheaper to swap another stocker out than go with a aftermarket one (alot cheaper);
Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
gears94gt
3rd Gear Member

i have the trick flow manifold and its bad ***, picked close to 30 rwhp dyno prove when swapped.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

hmm... 30rwhp on a mod that the majority of people say is useless without FI. What other supporting mods have you done as well? Something isn't adding up here lol.

actualy nevermind, just saw you are supercharged. I plan on staying N/A and on the juice at least for this race season. I am willing to bet your power increases have a lot to do with your supercharger.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

You have more power than ZW because you have more compression and can rev higher. We all know that strokers dont make more hp just a little more torque. And the reason i got the typhoon (mine is ported too) is because i had a crack in my stock manifold and wanted to upgrade so i could feel alittle better about spraying in the future

Quick Reply: I seriously need to know about intake manifolds