4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery and Terminals

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

Default Battery and Terminals

Having battery problems so I went to the dealership and they said the battery tested weak and the terminals were in bad condition. I plan on getting a new battery but don't know which one to get, diehard? optima? Next are the terminals, what should I do about them? Can I clean them or do they need to be replaced? How would I go about cleaning them?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Battery and Terminals

You can buy new terminal clamps at your local auto parts store or walmart... I bought the autozone battery and its been running for about 2 years, even with 2 12's in the trunk. Most people suggest an optima though. I'm cheap.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

i dont even like optimas. I liek diehard, they have good batts, prices arnt to bad and the gold i think is a 5 yr warrenty
Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

What should I do about the terminals? Should I just clean them? How would I do this?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

optima red top batteries are great=P
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MCanavan6

What should I do about the terminals? Should I just clean them? How would I do this?
It depends on how bad they are. If they are really corroded, then buy some new ones. You can get them from walmart or your local auto parts store. They are not hard to replace. I would imagine that they aren't that bad, so you should be able to clean them and they will be fine. When you go to the auto parts store, just tell them you need a battery terminal cleaner. It will look somethinglike this: You can just run the brush through themiddle of the terminal and clean around it. They might also have this: It has a terminal and a post cleaner, in case youre post get corroded as well.

While you are at the parts store, get some batter terminal protectant. It will look like this:

After you get the new batter in and the terminals on, Just get the batter protectant and spray it on bother terminals and post. It will coat the terminals and post and keep them from corroding.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

my negative battery terminal was starting to get really intermittent, so i just snipped it off and replaced it with one from NAPA
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

i have a yellow top it was expensive but i didnt pay for it i stole it from my dad's trans am that has been sitting in storage for about 5 years took it out of it and put it in my car started right up its been in my mustang for about a year and havent had one problem with it
Old 12-21-2007, 06:16 PM
laserredgt
3rd Gear Member

put baking powder on it then squeeze a lemon on top...that should get rid of all the nasty crap all over it...start scrubbing with a brush and rinse off with water easy as that
Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

just get the new ends... they do get worn out. On my 95 it would only start when FULLY charged and it turned out they just had a bad connection cuz they couldnt clamp that well anymore. new terminals and she fires right up everytime, even after sitting for three months

Quick Reply: Battery and Terminals