4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CAI Vs. RAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Vs. RAI

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

CAIs are easy to install. I don't understand why everyone has such a problem. A CAI draws cold air from outside the engine bay, usually from inside the fender.The termram air intakeis a bit misleading. Technically a ram air intake has air forced into an opening and through the filter element from movement of the vehicle, hence the word "Ram." But people are calling the short intakes that house the filter inside the engine bay RAIs. If the filter is inside the engine bay and completely uncovered, theres a good chance its sucking in hot air. I think CAIs are a better design.

You try getting a jack underneath my car=P lols... I'm changing my CAI to RAI just because it's easier for me to change the airfilter and monitor it as I try not to lift my car as much as possible... It's a whole ordeal that I don't like to deal with=/
Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I just ditched the stock air filter & housing, bolted on a K&N filter, & now I`m good to go
Old 12-23-2007, 01:11 PM
deja_voo182
1st Gear Member

RAI ftw because they are cheaper, easy to intall, and easy to maintane. And oh yeah they look better too
Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StrklyBizness

ORIGINAL: steve0914

what? intakes are the easiest things to install do a cai and call it a day
ive heard many a story from ppl who had trouble getting the filter on the intake....ive even heard of ppl taking the entire fender off LoL
if u need to take the fender off to install a cai, you proble shouldnt be touching a car. they are VERY easy to put in and swap. i started out with just a k&n swap, then i got a cai, then a rai. now i just have a hybrid mess of stock parts with aftermarket stuff, and its all the same **** people!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

The CAI really only draws "cold air" in when your sitting still. Once the car is moving, they are both doing the same thing.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tim2002gtThe CAI really only draws "cold air" in when your sitting still. Once the car is moving, they are both doing the same thing.
Could you please explain your reasoning behind that statement?
The front spoiler is designed to create a pressure area that does get ambient air into the fenderwell and you can always change the location of the Fog lights to get oncoming air onto the filter which I am doing.
Under hood air temps are higher and that is that. Even the JLT products with the PVC piping are better thahn metal piping as it does not retain heat like a metal pipe! My JLT CAI filter did not get dirty in a summer of driving and I can se the filter from the engine compartment if I feel the need to exmine it. There bare low profile floor jacks that make lifting the car easy and when changing the il check and clean the filter if needed, simple.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: tim2002gtThe CAI really only draws "cold air" in when your sitting still.? Once the car is moving, they are both doing the same thing.
Could you please explain your reasoning behind that statement?
The front spoiler is designed to create a pressure area that does get ambient air into the fenderwell and you can always change the location of the Fog lights to get oncoming air onto the filter which I am doing.
Under hood air temps are higher and that is that. Even the JLT products with the PVC piping are better thahn metal piping as it does not retain heat like a metal pipe! My JLT CAI filter did not get dirty in a summer of driving and I can se the filter from the engine compartment if I feel the need to exmine it. There bare low profile floor jacks that make lifting the car easy and when changing the il check and clean the filter if needed, simple.
If you can easily see the filter from your engine bay then you did not install the black shield around the 2nd part of the pipe. Also, I've had mine for a summer and it's filthy as hell. LastlyI have a low profile jack and it does not fit underneath the jack pointswithout the help of ramps. I have a fist of clearance from the ground to my sfc's
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i have a CAI but i wish i had an RAI for the simplicity of maintaining it
Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

i have a CAI but i wish i had an RAI for the simplicity of maintaining it
just do what i did

Take the 2 90* bends out, and attach your stock airbox back on...same damn thing. even has a heat sheild....

i got a lil crafty with it one day, i cut the stock air silencer at its widest point, and put it back on. it sticks JUST barely into the fenderwell slot. so its like a half assed cold air/ram air thing.. lol thats the best word for it... thing

Old 12-24-2007, 04:30 AM
klfutrelle
4th Gear Member

I have been told some fender kits suck up water.

Quick Reply: CAI Vs. RAI