4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: strut tower brace

yea, thats what i thought, thanks lynn.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

it was a huge difference and i noticed a differnce when i went to the track too. it made the front of the car come up even as to one side more than the other.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:59 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996
they don't do anything performancewise, they just keep the front end from flexing and protects it during wrecks and what not.
?????

It will help handling performance a bunch!!!

It won't do squate for a crash as it is not meant for that, it'll get wadded just as easy as anything else if taken a hard hit.

It is meant to stiffen the front or rear end strut towers to keep them from moving and flexing to a minimum during cornering thus giving you better control and handling performance of the car.

I had them on my '67 Mustang and it made a ton of difference performance wise as far as handling is concerned.
Lynn
not the new mustangs i just can't see them making anynoticeable difference. And yes they help greatly in a front end accident, yeah the car will still get hurt but the STB will help greatly by holding the top end in place. I'll believe you when you say it helps performance when I see a car get better times on a track by just getting an aftermarket STB.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

not the new mustangs i just can't see them making any noticeable difference. And yes they help greatly in a front end accident, yeah the car will still get hurt but the STB will help greatly by holding the top end in place.
Well, From your comments It dosn't sound like you have one or have had one on any car old or new to know what your talking about. So I'll just leave your comments to ignorance and inexperiance on this. Nothing personal, thats just the way it is.

My '67 was a bear after I got the braces installed, I could take corners at faster speeds then I ever even would have thought about doing so without them. The new ones are no different, the principle is the same.

The STB is not a roll cage nor designed to help in a crash either, so that point is moot, it is designed to keep the towers from flexing up to a 1/4" either side from what I have read and make the front end more stable during cornering. If the front end is hit it will bend like a plastic straw. If it was made of 1 1/2"- 2" tubing, then yeah, it may help, but at 3/4" to 1" no it won't do squat.

Lynn
Old 12-25-2007, 09:36 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

not the new mustangs i just can't see them making any noticeable difference. And yes they help greatly in a front end accident, yeah the car will still get hurt but the STB will help greatly by holding the top end in place.
Well, From your comments It dosn't sound like you have one or have had one on any car old or new to know what your talking about. So I'll just leave your comments to ignorance and inexperiance on this. Nothing personal, thats just the way it is.

My '67 was a bear after I got the braces installed, I could take corners at faster speeds then I ever even would have thought about doing so without them. The new ones are no different, the principle is the same.

The STB is not a roll cage nor designed to help in a crash either, so that point is moot, it is designed to keep the towers from flexing up to a 1/4" either side from what I have read and make the front end more stable during cornering. If the front end is hit it will bend like a plastic straw. If it was made of 1 1/2"- 2" tubing, then yeah, it may help, but at 3/4" to 1" no it won't do squat.

Lynn
Well then scratch what I previously said, but I'd still need to see it in person, just one of those things you know? But as for helping in a wreck, yes it does help. The reason I am saying this is both my dad(he's owned literally too many old mustangs to count) and a guy at SGS automotive(know's everything bout the late model stangs) have told me it does help when you get in a wreck, and unless I really see proof of that I'm going to believe these guys since they've experienced it. Again I'm not saying it will do miracles at high speed wrecks, but a low speed fender bender, that STB will help hold things aligned and in place, without it the top end could be out of alignment
Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks o/p, I was thinking about posting the same ?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

i took my brace off for today and i rode with it, its actually more comfortable without the brace. the brace is there specifically for the purpose to stabalize the front end. rides slightly more comfortable without it though.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 AM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

they don't do anything performancewise, they just keep the front end from flexing and protects it during wrecks and what not.
?????

It won't do squate for a crash as it is not meant for that, it'll get wadded just as easy as anything else if taken a hard hit.

It is meant to stiffen the front or rear end strut towers to keep them from moving and flexing to a minimum during cornering thus giving you better control and handling performance of the car.

I had them on my '67 Mustang and it made a ton of difference performance wise as far as handling is concerned.
Lynn
not the new mustangs i just can't see them making anynoticeable difference. And yes they help greatly in a front end accident, yeah the car will still get hurt but the STB will help greatly by holding the top end in place. I'll believe you when you say it helps performance when I see a car get better times on a track by just getting an aftermarket STB.
whats next, sub frame connectors are useless?a stbmigth not help your et to much, but your launch will be easier, and it makes a big difference on the street. when you hit an un expected pot hole you cowl wont buckle like we all knowthey do.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

?????

Lynn
I agree^^^- I am going to get one to help the flex in my `Vert